Ready to take the plunge

I have enjoyed quilting for fun (great at baby blankets) for 20 years.  Now I want to start an adventure in quilting larger quilts on a longarm machine. However, I am a little nervous about re-learning everything on a  new super sized machine.  I'm thinking about a millie:)  How difficult is it to learn the art of longarm quilting?  Any words of advice or what add ons are really helpful.

It really just takes practice.  It is different moving the machine instead of the fabric.  I did a lot of doodling on paper and that helped my muscle memory.  Put in some fabric just to practice on and just practice, practice, practice!!!!  (PPP)

and I didn't find it hard to make the transition after quilting on my domestic machine.  But did I say PPP!?!!

You'll love it!

I jumped in way over my head!  I had pieced for about a year when I purchased my longarm.  I started practicing on anything and drawing everywhere I went.  Lunch break, kids doctor appointments I mean everywhere.  I never quilted on my sewing machine so not much help there.  I love the longarm, I've had it for 4 years now and am slowly building a customer base. 

My advice is try as many different longarms as you can get your hands on and see what feels right to you.  The only thing I wish I had done differently is I wish I had more throat space, Lenni is 20" but Millie is 26".  I wish I'd gotton more.  Love to freehand quilt now.  Hope that helps at least a little.

Plus this forum is awesome.  People are so helpful and supportive

Like many things it is really easy to learn, but hard to master! The basics are...well basic, but when you see the finished work that the Ladies and Gentlemen of this group post you realize how much practice and skill are on display.

I am a beginner but inspired everyday by what I see here.

I would be remiss if I didn't add that you should not let the need to practice deter you...it's just plain fun!

I love my Lucey in that I do not have the baste the layers together (no more on my hands and knees on the floor pinning)  There is a learning curve....I am definitely a beginner...not planning on doing this as a business...just so I can quilt for a few more years...I bought a used Lucey for my retirement gift to myself instead of Caribbean cruise!  That was four years ago....I am not a natural at it but I am finishing my own quilts....just going a little slower than I planned....retirement is busier than I thought....I get up...make coffee....check my emails...watch the morning news..get another cup of coffee...maybe take a little nap...talk on the phone....make lunch....walk the dogs...stitch a little...take another nap...oh dear....anyway....I started out by getting a little wanna be long arm on a 10 foot frame...very difficult to do large quilts on as when I was getting to the end, I often only had 3-4 inch space...I think the arm on that one was 9-11 inches or something like that...I definitely would recommend a 12 foot frame if you have the room and also at least a 20 inch neck...Lucey has a 26 inch one and to be honest, I don't like reaching for those last few inches but I don't have to roll up the quilt that far either so it is better to have too much space rather than not enough....I would recommend that you try out using a long arm if you can before deciding...maybe a friend has one or maybe you can take classes and use one at a nearby quilt shop....The little one I got first was less than $3000 and I did do about 30 quilts on it and learned that I did like doing this so it actually was worth it....but Lucey is so much better...for me....it is just fine....I don't have the computer system....and I really just was planning on doing mainly edge to edge for myself but after seeing all the lovey quilting being done on this site, I am think maybe I will give doing more custom stuff a try after I finally get most of the quilt tops I have waiting to be quilted .......hopefully taking a class from Karen McTavish next week in her studio if the weather plays nicely ...I have been practicing drawing Victorian feathers....mine still look somewhat like funky grapes......Lin

I tried a few machines at shows and when I tried the Millie, I just knew it was the right fit for me.  I got Darlene Epp's Pocket guides and used to those to practice on paper until my basement was finished and my machine set up....I practiced on muslin (bought yards of it), and then did some of my own quilts.  It was very scary to do that first customer quilt and then charge them money for it but I haven't looked back.  Just get comfortable with your machine and doing those first things like stippling, loops, then move on to using a ruler and once you feel comfortable with that, an "I can do anything anyone else can do" attitude will give you the confidence to try the patterns you see others quilt, and again, PPP does it!

Great input from everyone here, very supportive.

I quilted on DSM & on long bed Brother sewing machine on a frame, both were ok but I like my Millenium on 14 ft table the best.

Buy the best machine you can afford, APQS is the best brand in my opinion.

Intimidated was the feeling when I started quilting on Millie.

PPP and take classes, Longarming is fun once you get the hang of it, & it will come for sure.

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." Ryan North

We all started where you are, but you'll improve as long as you practice. It's as simple as that. Classes, drawing, and continually stretching your boundaries will keep you interested and you'll be delighted at how quickly you'll progress.

You already know about quilting designs and what looks good, since you have many years of skills and appreciation of quilts to back you up. You'll be amazed at how quickly your skills will translate to a longarm.

If you need a gentle push---consider yourself nudged!  :P

First of all,  "Relax,  and Breathe, and release that death grip you have on the handles.. you shouldn't need more than finger tips to guide it.

When you go to try out various machines, don't take a friend.. you are searching for what will fit you not you and someone else's.

Make a sandwich of muslin and batting.. use various colored threads for each new pattern you decide to practice and use.

By using various colored threads you can go over and over the same areas..

If you used a dsm you are a couple steps ahead as you have trained your hands to move as you will need to move the machine handles.

Do NOT get discouraged.. I've had Penny Lenni for something like 7 years, meds and illnesses kept me away from the machine, then I thought I could use it

and then found out I had to start over at the beginning.  Use a dry erase board, or the newsprint tablets that Dollar Tree has, to practice.  You will want to practice meandering for several days, and only meandering, big, little medium, then say add loops and it becomes  loops and vines.. don't practice anything else until you have each one down, but also DO go back and practice the learned designs..

Check out Jamie Wallens web site,  Quilter's Apothecary.  He has loads of videos about how to practice.  I have Mystical Cotton Tracks, no longer being sold, and Thread Fusion.  Both are invaluable.. I've had to go computerized so I no longer need them..

Just remember, even when testing a machine out,   Relax, breathe and let go of the death grips on the handles.. Finger tip should do it.

Rita

Archived