upside down sandwich???

Has anybody ever loaded the quilt sandwich upside down and had the backing fabric on top and the quilt top underneath?  I'm not even sure it is possible, but it is the only way I can figure to do this next quilt. I need to put dinosaurs on it.  I tried stitching out the pantograph, but I can't control my stupid machine well enough to follow the pantograph.  I can, however, see through the backing fabric, and I could trace it onto the backer and stitch it from the front of the machine using some tools to help with control.

I'm stumped how I'm going to do this, adn I wanted to have it done by noon tomorrow. : (

Can you draw the dinos on Golden Threads paper and stitch through it? Or cut one out of card stock and stitch around it?

Otherwise, the only drawback is the longer/wider backer and the narrower top. How/where will you attach your clamps? Maybe pin the clamp elastic to the top? Or you could stitch an overall on the top, regularly loaded, leaving strategic spots for your dinosaurs. When it's all quilted and stable, unload and flip it, reload without side clamps, reverse your threads, if they're different from each other, and mark and stitch those critters. Let us know what you decide to do.

Teresa:  I've never loaded a quilt upside down to start with, but I have turned one over to stitch from the backside so I could see what I was doing.  If you're doing a complete panto, I don't think my experience would help.  A lot of the quilt I turned was quilted when I turned it so most of the line up issues were already resolved.  Good luck.  Jim

Okay, here is the solution I came up with, based on Linda's suggestion.  I didn't have any Golden Threads paper, so I went to Joann and bought the stiff tear away stabilizer like the embroidery machine uses.  I traced the pantograph onto that, then laid that on top of the quilt and pinned it in place. I have stitched through the paper and the quilt. I just have to pull the stabilizer off.  I just hope it doesn't rip my stitches when I take it off.

Teresa, dampen the stabilizer a bit, then use the round of a teaspoon, or a hera marker, that purple thing, etc..

to put a bit of pressure along the seam/ tear lines..

don't be picky and go over every stitch.. just hit close it's the pressure on the stabilizer that makes it tear away easily.

I find I can take it off this way, and it's really not hard, and few tiny pieces to clear out of seams.

Thanks Rita.  I made a mistake and bought tear away that was fusible.  I didnt' even notice.  SO, when I went to take it off I ripped a BUNCH of my stitches out.  Rather than try to tie off and do a million start and stop points I just ripped out all the stitching (took 3 days) and went to buy the paper only stabilizer.  I have to get all the thread pieces of the top and backing, iron them, reload, and restitch. 

On a good note though, the actual stitching only took about an hour since it was an all over pattern on a small quilt

Go for it Teresa, as many "unconventional" things that you do, it won't be hard.

I just hate that the stabilizers don't have the pertinent info on the board..

Takes too much time to read all the instructions to find the one a person needs.

Archived