HELP! Bought New Motor - Parts aren't same...

pumpkinpatchquilter

I desperately need to get my machine going.  I snapped the main power wire trying to change motor brushes (that probably didn't need changed in the first place I discovered after a call to APQS) and had to buy a new motor.  The motor arrived but the wires don't hook up the same way. 

I have an Ultimate 1 and it's the right motor - but the black wire I'm supposed to wrap around a screw doesn't have the circular part to attach it!  I could take the one off of the old motor but have no idea how to do this without damaging the new one or the part from the old one and APQS is closed.  

I just want to cry!  I've been down a week and a half and my clients are being very tolerant, but work is stacking up and I NEED to get back up and running.  I just spent $300 of my Christmas savings and need to get to work to earn it back...

Can anyone help???   :(  I'll attach photos so you can see what I'm talking about...

New motor:

15720198509_d85582ccd0.jpg20141129_113400 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Old Motor:

15905609852_a9e422b0f3.jpg20141129_113350 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

I'm a little frustrated that the instructions for changing the motor brushes were what came with the motor...I understand replacing the motor is part of that process, but grrr...it would be a lot easier if it was set up the same...

Valerie, you can cut the black casing, it just holds the wires together.  And I bet if you take the photos above to your local hardware store, they can fix you up with the right parts.  If you're not comfortable with that, post this same info in the APQS Help forum - Dawn will check it over the weekend and get back to you with help.

Hi Valerie. Dennis to the rescue!

Click on the link to view a package of connectors which you can purchase at Harbor Freight, Radio Shack, or other electronics store. Find the appropriate size to match the original. Push the connector onto the bare wires and crimp them with a pair of pliers, separate the wires so they reach the terminals, and screw then on. I hope this helps you get up and running again!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/15719158540/

Thank you again SO very much Linda and Barb!  Also Joyce Coburn who has been so wonderfully helpful, she called me at home to see if she or her Husband could help and I was just over the moon grateful for that!!

It appears to be working - I purchased the connectors like Linda shared up there and the first one I destroyed (eep...) the second one I put on right!  I attached the motor and put it back on according to APQS directions - when I turned on my machine and hit the button to take a few stitches it ran!!!!  Woohoo!  I'm going to clean up my mess now and attempt to do some sewing....I don't see why it wouldn't make stitches as I didn't do anything to the timing so I'm feeling positive...but I figure I better put the thread back in the needle and make sure it still sews well.  At least I know the motor and electric is working!!  Wheeew!

I am SO SO SO grateful for all of you here who are willing to share and help!  I cannot thank you all enough!

Way to Go,Valerie!!!!!! Now you won't hesitate to repair anything on that machine! I can so relate to your fear of damaging your

machine.                                                               Becky

Valerie so glad you are quilting again.   Don't fear working on your machine, just follow directions from APQS, either in the manual, on Videos, email, forum or over the phone..  Just remember your success with this. IT Really Wasn't so hard, and you overcame your fear,  and so it works..

Great Going.!!!

• 10 months later...

Thanks!!  It's been a while THANK GOODNESS!  I actually have a new machine now!  But rest assured, it was no trouble at all replacing the motor!  Once I figured that part out it was a breeze!

- Valerie

Glad you're up and running and now I'm a little scared. I just ordered a new motor for my ultimate II and I'm going to be changing that out in hopes that I can work on sewing at slower speeds.

Archived