Loose Screw

It could be the Allen screw that holds the tension assembly in place. I don't have documentation in front of me that says what size that screw should be. It may be that your tension assembly was too tight against the side of the head, which would cause your check spring to bind, but with the screw gone, the assembly is in a better position. I'm trying to think of somewhere else that screw could come from...

Lyn,

the set screw that holds the tension assembly firmly in place is a 5/64, so that is not from that location. But just in case someone else is reading this and wondering about where that tension assembly allen set screw would be, I've attached a document to help.

Tension Control info.doc

The hook shaft collar has a locking allen screw, but it's a 3/32, so that's not it, either.

Hook Shaft Collar adjust.pdf

But Vicki is right--the overhead lighting sections are held together by a set screw that size, and (depending on your model) the motorized fabric advance also uses set screws of that type on the coupler(s).

It's doubtful that it's from the shepherd's hook, since that screw is only accessed by removing the lighting circuit board and mounting bracket.

Dawn,

I don't have overhead lighting.

It was found at the opposite end of the table to my fabric advance, looks like it could be from there as I have two different screws in that!  Just don't have the strength to undo my husbands tightening of these to check. 

Maybe it has been playing hide and seek for two years.

But the tension is great and the machine is working.

Archived