Stadium Blankets

I just finished these 3 stadium blankets, each about 60x90. Light weight denim and fleece yardage, fleece binding. Hobbs 80/20 batting and Signature cotton thread. I put the fleece on the bottom and use the denim as the top of the quilt sandwich because 60 wide fleece yardage is a more generous width than the 60 wide denim. Done sewing/quilting for 2014!

Sorry, edited to add: yellow is Karyn Emerson's "Square Spiral, Blue one is freehand, Bubble gum is "Sprung" by Willow Leaf Studios.

post-62883-0-54157600-1418660961_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-10382400-1418660968_thumb.jpg

post-62883-0-11406800-1418661188_thumb.jpg

Great quilts.  I just received a customer quilt and she wants to use fleece as her backing.  I've never put fleece on the long arm before and have a couple of questions before I tackle it.  Do I need to stabilize the fleece?  I'm concerned because the fleece is a lot stretchier than the cotton pieced quilt top.  I was thinking to fuse a light weight stabilizer mesh to the fleece, but then I was worried that that wouldn't be right either.  Any tips you could share would be great!  You have given me hope that this is not going to be as impossible as I had begun to think. 

Load the stretch side parallel with the rollers. Be aware that you have a stretch fabric on

and loosen off the backing before advancing then just tighten the roller to snug not taunt.

Hope this makes . I load stretch stuff all the time just be aware and take the proper steps to not 

stretch it. Should work OK for you.Good luck

Just remember to put the selvages perpendicular to the rollers.   I roll and straighten like any other quilt, always float mine and after rolling, I back off the tension just a bit so it's not too tight.  Fleece is super easy to quilt....really...

To answer your question, I would never apply stabilizer, it's not necessary and what a nightmare it would be to apply, fleece melts under an iron. :D

Thanks for the advice on how to load the fleece onto the frame.  ...and for the tip about not using stabilizer.  It would have been horrible if I would have melted the customer's backing.  Yikes.  Well, I have two more to do before that one goes on the frame. 

So just want to make sure I'm understanding both Terry and Ann the same -- is the "stretch side" parallel to the rollers the same as the selvage edge perpendicular to the rollers? 

Thanks for the advice on how to load the fleece onto the frame.  ...and for the tip about not using stabilizer.  It would have been horrible if I would have melted the customer's backing.  Yikes.  Well, I have two more to do before that one goes on the frame. 

So just want to make sure I'm understanding both Terry and Ann the same -- is the "stretch side" parallel to the rollers the same as the selvage edge perpendicular to the rollers? 

Yes, we are all on the same page.  You won't have any problem determining which side stretches and which side not so much.  Big difference.  Good luck!

Ann,  I know the first quilt is Keryn Emmerson's square spiral, which I love.  What's the name of the second spiral pantograph you used?  Thanks.

Sorry, I added this to my original post: yellow is Karyn Emerson's "Square Spiral, Blue one is my freehand, Bubble gum is "Sprung" by Willow Leaf Studios.

I use fleece two ways, either double or as backing for a pieced top.  The salvage goes with the

rollers.  I don't roll it tight to stitch, but it's not real loose either.   Penny likes her food rather taught.

(food = sandwich)

I really love the way the pattern shows up. 

Archived