rip stop nylon

Hi Quilters, A customer gave me a top that is meant to be a picnic quilt. She wants rip stop nylon on the back. I have not used anything like this before. I told her i would need to experiment with it but now she wants it by Feb 1 and i am concerned. I would love to know if any one has used this product or anything like it as a backer. Thanks to all for weighing in. K

I would question her choice of nylon for the back. I assume she wants something waterproof that washes well, but remember that it's very slippery and if used as a picnic table cover it will not stay put. If she wants it as a ground cover, it's not perfectly waterproof and when it needs to be washed the cotton top will shrink and the nylon won't. My thought would be to steer her in another direction. Maybe a cotton top and a backer of waterproof canvas, which is not expensive and readily available. That would be comparable to quilting upholstery fabric on the longarm, but definitely stitchable.

Will there be some batting inside?

If she wants to use the nylon, explain to her about the shrinkage and have her (not you) pre-shrink both the pieced cotton top and the cotton batting. There should be some instructions for pre-shrinking on the batting package or insert. Cotton batting typically shrinks about 3%.

Well, the APQS will certainly handle it....I did a huge tent floor for a customer from denim and cordura and never had a single problem.....and I used 80/20 batting.  I turned over the cordura and created a wide binding on my Bernina.  Whether nylon is the best thing for her to punch full of holes...is another question.

post-62883-0-64255900-1418841456_thumb.jpg

Archived