Santa quilt in progress- finished with pictures

I would prefer not to stitch on the appliques, since they were done by hand, but they are so large.  Should I use some monofilament and stitch something on them to help hold things together, or will it be okay like it is?  It has taken me about 3 hours to do the first two blocks.  I am trying to be so careful and make it look good.  I have two layers of batting, Warm and White and low loft polyester.  So far tension is good and machine is behaving well.  Changing those rails really made a HUGE difference in control.

pictures are on Flikr:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jtconcessions/sets/72157647565527663/

Looking good, Teresa! Yes, I'd recommend using mono and stitching around some of the applique pieces. It won't be necessary to edge-stitch them all, just enough to provided some depth. The Santa in your photo could be stitched around his face and beard, and the "fur" parts of his coat and hat. Great filler behind the Santa and stitching in the pieced block.

I'm tickled to read that your rail fix was successful! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad everybody likes it.  I hope Vickie does. I will put it in the mail tomorrow.  I really don't like the white thread on the red fabric.  I feel like it makes every backtrack line stand out.  I am not very good at staying on the line when restitching the same spot. 

The lines behind the holly border were an afterthought. The holly didn't really stand out, so I put those 1/4 " lines behind rather than just doing stippling or another fill.

I have a question for all of you about clamshells.  I marked my square grid, like the directions I read told me to do, then I tried stitching my clamshells, but some of them came out wonky.  What did I do wrong?  I wonder if it was because I couldn't get into a good rhythm because I had to keep stopping for the applique.

post-1022-0-30114000-1420213546_thumb.jpg

It's wonderful, Teresa! I love everything about this quilt! I'm a Santa collector so it's right up my alley. Your client is going to love it!

As for clamshells, I find getting them perfect freehand is always a challenge. You could use a template like dragon scales from Quilters Rule to make them perfect. I like yours though, they fit the whimsical style of the quilt!

http://quiltersrule.com/Templates/machine-templates.html

Archived