Needle Choice

Deb34285

Once again the newbie has to tap into some sound advise on needle choices.

When I purchased my George the rep sold me some extra needles made by Schmetz. The package  says Canu:20:05  1, 134®, 135X5 , SY1955, DPx5.  I purchase a size 80 and 90 . I have to be honest...the hole the 80 punches on my fabric still looks huge compared to using an 80 on my DMS (maybe I'm looking too close) . I do not know if these are embroidery needles, universals , top-stitch or what.  I hear everyone saying our machines are timed for a 4.0.( I think I read a post by Dawn Cavanaugh saying that we could safely go down one size to a 3.5 or up one size to a 4.5). I don't see any such sizing on these packages. How do I know if it is a 4.0?? Do you buy your needles from APQS or do you order online? Who do you order from and what brands do you like?  As I stroll down that path learning the ins and outs of tension/thread/needle/bobbins and batting I know this is the tip of the iceberg in my series of questions!

Thanks again! :)

I have copied and pasted below a posting from Mrs. A a few years ago.  Raichert now also sells size 11 Schmetz needles.  On the recommendations of other George users, I have used sizes 11 and 12 with 100 wt. silk thread with beautiful results.  I have used needle sizes 11, 12, 14, 16, and 18 and have not had any problems.  

Brenda

From Mrs. A:

Hi Lynnie: And other George owners too...if you want to try a smaller needle than the size 18 Singer industrial needles that come with George, here is a resource for you. The Ed Raichert Sewing Machine Company in Phoenix sells industrial Schmetz needles that I've been very happy with. Whether you want smaller holes punched in your quilt or you are sewing with a finer thread like Invisafil, Bottom Line or 100 weight silk, this is your resource: www.raichert.com/schmetz_quilting_needles_for_lon.htm Whew! Hope I typed that in right. The needles for George are the second ones listed on the recommended by Sharon Schamber page...Schmetz with numbers including 134, 135x5 and DPx5. I have no idea what all those numbers mean but these are the ones compatible with George. They are offered in several sizes including 16, 14 and 12. You can purchase them in smaller packages (of 10 I think) or in packages of 100 at a pretty good price. Try them out and let us know what you think! For Lynnie: the needles face in the same direction and have rounded tops like the Singers and unlike domestic needles which have a flat side where they insert. Best to all on the forum, Nancy in Tucson 

I don't know what needles the George uses for sure, but my guess is that they use the same as the APQS frame long arms.  I do not know whether Schmetz makes a MR needle or not.  I would guess they probably do, but I've never seen any.  The same applies to Organ needles.

The numbers represent the length , the shank diameter, and eye position.  Needless to say there is more than one identification system in use today.  The Singer numbers are U.S., the Groz Beckert/Schmetz numbers are European, and the Organ numbers are Asian.  Now no one has referenced MR, or the San identification here.  MR means the needle is multi-directional - that is the needle body is stouter and stiffer because the needle sews in all directions, not just one.  The San designation identifies the depth of the scarf, which translates into the clearance provided for the thread loop to form in.  I know that MR needles are made in at least two San sizes, i.e. San 7 and San 11.  I know that if you try to use a San 7 in your APQS long arm, you'll be disappointed in the results.  They take a San 11.   Some long arms take San 7 needles -some of the Noltings for sure, and maybe one or two others.  Why?  I don't know.

The hole in your fabric using a size 18 (U.S. designation -4.0 Euro) probably is larger than on your DSM because  the needle in George is an MR (my guess since I really don't know what needle George takes)  I hope I've helped you sort out some of the numbers.  Jim

I buy Groz Beckert.  Since they bought Singer's needle business, I think the yellow Singer packaging will soon be a thing of the past.  I've been quite pleased with the Groz Beckert needles, but then I've never used Schmetz or Organ needles in either of my long arms, so I don't have any real experience to measure them by.  I use Organs all the time in my embroidery machine.  Jim

I'm a newbie too but the DVD I received with my APQS machine was extremely helpful in discussion of needles & thread types.

It was entitled "Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob" Eliminating your frustrations with thread, needles & tension.  After viewing it, I ordered from Superior and have been pleased with both needles & thread.  I will order from APQS as well in the future. 

Well that's a good question. The needle that came with the machine are a singer industrial 1955-01- MR 4.0 (797) size 18. I hear a lot of people saying they buy from superior and some saying Schmetz . I thought that as long as my size and system was the same I could use ??? I am trying to remember where I read it but I know somewhere along the way someone said not to use organ needles. I to use them all the time in embroidery too.

So far all I have used is GROZ-BECKERT 10   110/18   4.0  that is what came with my Freddie.

I have ordered 3.5 but haven't used them yet.  Thread I am using with them is So Fine #50 with prewound SuperBOBs Bottom Line (60wt).

Again, I have ordered other threads to try, but I'm hesitant to try new things when what I'm using is working! Especially on orders.

I did use this same top thread with self wound bobbins done on my turbo bobbin winder & it did fine too. 

I just felt like the prewounds have more thread on them, not to mention the convenience.

Archived