On Hand Parts

Cagey

I need to order a needle bar set screw as I appear to have lost mine during the move or during getting George to run.  That being said, I am trying to come up with a list of items I should have on hand to take care of those small unexpected problems.  From reading some other threads on the forum, I have come up with the below list.  Please let me know if you would suggest any other parts.  

Needle Bar Screw (2)

Thread Guide Pigtail (2)

Tension Control Spring (1)

L size Bobbin Case (1) - quilting for fun, will probably use primarily the same two thread types are more than 2 needed?

Motor brushes (1 set)

Bobbin Brake Spring - do these wear out, or can you simply bend out the arms as they wear?  

Fuses - it would seem you can pick those up at any auto parts store.  This may be an incorrect belief if 3.15 amp is a non-vehicle amperage, or if the fuse is actually a different size than older model cars use.

Hook assembly - with proper oiling, it would seem that it would take many years of nonbusiness usage to wear one out.  Is this a correct?

Thread Guide 3 Hole - I have read that monopoly thread and other threads can wear groves in the eyelets, but do these wear out all that quick?

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

Cagey

Cagey

The 3 hole guide is not likely to get a groove anytime soon, our Millie has done over a thousand quilts and there is no wear showing.  Pigtails I would order half a dozen, a couple of screws for the top cover (they are soft and they heads are easily damaged with a poor fitting screwdriver).  Order some grease for the gearbox,  Things like hooks don't fail suddenly and are expensive so I would wait.  If I think of anything else I will add it after dinner.

Nigel

Fuses are available at Radio Shack and must be "slow blow type".  There should be a spare in the fuse holder already but get a couple more anyway.  Since your are quilting for yourself and in the USA you don't really need too much in the way of spare parts.  You can get anything in a couple of days and you don't have customers waiting.

The parts that can take a lot of use before they need replacing are the tension assembly spring, the three hole guides, and the motor brushes, so no need to order those unless you want a full kit.

A bobbin assembly should be on the list because it can be damaged in several different ways and it's a wait to replace it. The three-hole guides don't get the wear of the pigtails and mine haven't had any wear in 10 years of serious stitching. 

In my kit are pigtails, a bobbin assembly, extra screws because if I drop one it might never be found, two bobbin cases, motor brushes (still not worn enough to replace after 10 years), a needle bar screw, and fuses. 

I don't buy the bobbin backlash springs. I get a whole new bobbin case because if the spring has been used so much that it's worn, I'm sure the case is tired as well. I keep it for using with magna-glides. The cases can get slightly out-of-round from being dropped, so treat yourself and your machine to a new one on occasion. They're not expensive.

It looks like you've covered all the bases. Have fun with your George!

I would like to thank all of that replied.  I have decided what I will order now for my emergency parts kit.  

Needle Bar Screw (2)

Thread Guide Pigtail (4)

Tension Control Spring (1)

L size Bobbin Case (2)

Motor brushes (1 set)

Thread Guide 3 Hole (1)

Bobbin Brake Spring (none - as I just got a second bobbin case.)

I am also going to get a number of extra aluminum bobbins, since I know I will finish a project or two with thread remaining on the bobbin.  

I again thank all of you for your outstanding support in answering all my questions.  Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Nigel:

How long did you have your machine before you needed to repack the gearbox?

I was under the impression from watching the APQS video, that this is not a normal issue and is rarely needed.  Amy states in the video that you only do this when the gear box becomes noise or growls.  She goes on to say that 90 percent of the purpose of the grease is to cut down on gearbox noise.  The gears themselves pretty much run dry.

I appreciate the input, but the grease will probably dry out in its bag before I would expect to repack the gearbox in a non-business environment.  

Have a wonderful day.

Cagey

You know how it works, if you have it you will probably never need it.  Our Millie has been done 3 or 4 times in 8 years and the U1 hasn't been done since I bought it (3 years).  I am sure some have never had to repack their gearboxes.  When it happens the first time it is a real bummer to pay something like $25 shipping for a no charge item. 

Good job on your spares  list.

Nigel

Nigel:

Thank you for your input.  I can understand the issue with shipping.  I hate it when the shipping costs more than the item I need.  

To clarify, I am get my parts not from APQS but from an APQS dealer/repair center.  I ended up getting a few more bobbin cases then I had planned on.  The price was right, and I will have more than enough to set one up for the different threads I use.  

I ended up not getting the brushes, as I was told they rarely if ever go bad.  I was told if you notice the motor speed starts varying at a set RPM, then the brushes need to be replaced.  To clarify what I just said, if on George you hold the foot peddle at one place the motor should run at a constant RPM.  Without moving the foot peddle if the RPM is increasing and then decreasing and no constant RPM is held, then the brushes are   bad.  The same is true on a long arm with the speed set and with the stitch regulator off.  If the RPM is not steady, it is a good indication it is time to change the brushes.  I was told, do not wait all that long to get new ones as you do not want to harm the motor assembly.  Otherwise it goes from a low cost job to a much more costly repair.

I was also told that the three hole tension arms almost never show signs of wear as they are made of hardened metal.  The pig tails on the other hand wear out rather regularly as they are made of a much softer metal.  If you run thread across them and notice the thread catching it is time to replace that one.  

As always, I thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and making all of us more informed quilters.  Have a wonderful night.

Cagey

Archived