Tips or pattern suggestions appreciated for this mega quilt!

Any suggestions or tips for me in quilting this one?  It's 90 x 110 and hand stitched squares made from the lovely old stretchy polyester fabric from years ago.  Client had it for many years, his grandmother hand pieced it & he has no preference whatsoever as to how I quilt it.  He is even ok if I cut it down some, but would rather not.  I'm nervous about it stretching to be twice it's size once it's loaded on my Freddie!

post-64780-0-08964700-1421941822_thumb.jpg

E2e means "edge to edge", so freehand, a pattern board, or a panto would be e2e. I agree that e2e (also called "overall") would be a good plan. Neat quilt top!

If you float the top, you won't be so worried about stretching it. (Backer is loaded to the leaders and the batting and top are snugged up to the edge after aligning straight and stitched across to attach. The rest hangs down with attaching to the front roller.) Load and mark where the sides are on your leaders (painter's tape, clamps, or an erasable marker) and make sure as you advance that the sides "hit the mark".

Pick a pattern in which the lines do not cross over each other. I did a similar top and chose simple loops which was a big mistake. The stretchy fabric and bulky seams caused the seam lines to get pushed around a lot as I quilted. A meander would have worked much better.

Carol

Archived