Eye Spy fabric exchange??

With the advent of our first grandchild (would Feb. 21st please come - soon??!!?!), I have been thinking about putting together an Eye Spy quilt. Well, eventually...

Anyway, I was thinking that an Eye Spy quilt takes lots and LOTS of specialty fabrics, which could cost a lot and leave lots of leftovers, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but I've only got so much room for a stash.

What do you think about having an exchange of Eye Spy-type fabrics, maybe 6.5" squares? I've never done (much less managed) something like this, so I'm open to suggestions.

Okay, 5" blocks it is! My thought is to have a sign-up period, then each of us send the same number of blocks to a common collecting point - guess that should be me. So if there are twelve of us, we each cut 12 5" blocks of an Eye Spy fabric (or of several), send them in, and in return, we each get a single block of each fabric contributed. Does that sound about right?

There was an I Spy swap done last year I think because I was a part of it.  It was done on this list. I sent more than 12 squares though because I got a slew of blocks back.  I was all prepared for the 5" blocks, but the person doing it wanted 4½" or something.  I didn't make anything with mine.  I gifted them to my granddaughter who wants to make an I spy quilt.  I still have lots of fabric so another swap sounds wonderful with the 5" blocks.  I made two I Spy quilts last year.  I used a layer cake I bought from Missouri Star Quilts and cut them into 5" squares which as you know gave me 40 squares x 4 = 160 squares.  I had more than enough for two good size quilts.  I had fun with those.

I also participated in the swap last year.  I was thinking they were 5" squares, but you're right, Oma, they were 4.5"  I believe it was 80 squares per group, as I was in both groups and got 160 squares.  Only had to add a few more squares to make 3 Quilts for Kids.  That was a nice project, and I would be interested in doing another swap, but nothing smaller than 4.5" or 5".

post-5510-0-92156600-1422364969_thumb.jpg

post-5510-0-01175100-1422364983_thumb.jpg

post-5510-0-65897800-1422364991_thumb.jpg

A question about the Eye Spy Quilts..

Couldn't this be done with strips, say 3" wide at the narrowest?

I have a load and a half of pieces that can be cut at 3", which have things kids would generally know like a frog, a bird, etc..

Thanks,  Rita

Definitely bigger.  I did the last exchange and did 2 quilts but had to add a small strip around to get it up to 5 1/2"  I wanted to use my hexagon accuquilt board to cut them.  I made them work but it would have been much better to have 5" blocks.  I don't have pictures but can get my DIL to take a picture if anybody wants to see it.  The star design got lost because of the added strip but the girls love them :-).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived