"Eye Spy" Fabric Exchange - Updated - LAST DAY!

With a first grandbaby on the way (update: he was born yesterday!), I have been inspired to start collecting fabrics for an "Eye Spy" quilt.  To that end, I am organizing a fabric exchange, with the following "guidelines":

1. If you want to participate, sign up here before Feb. 15th.  We need you to sign up so that we know how many pieces of each fabric need to be provided.  Signups will close on Feb. 15th and I will post how many participants we have - i.e. how many blocks of each fabric you need to send.

2. You will have a month to dig out and cut your fabric(s).  So the deadline for that is March 15th.  Once you've done that, send them to me: Barb Mayfield, 45712 SE 138th Court, North Bend, WA  98045.

3. With your fabrics, include a SASE.  If needed, I will take care of the return postage, but I'd rather not have to write out all those addresses!

4. Hopefully, all squares will be mailed so that I receive them before the end of March.  If so, I will commit to sending them back out on April 1st - no fooling!

5. We will be exchanging 5" squares.  Please, please, please don't just cut a piece of focus fabric into 5" squares - someone in the exchange is going to get a 5" square of background with just a tiny piece of focus. "I Spy a train - wait, where is it??"  Take the time (and the fabric) to "fussy cut" pieces so that they are usable in this kind of quilt. Thank you.....

6. You will need to send in enough 5" squares for each participant to get one.  So if we have 15 participants, you will need to cut 15-5" squares.  You will get one of your own squares back.

7. If you wish, you can send multiple fabrics.  Just be sure to send enough 5" squares of each one.  You will get back as many squares as you send.

Does that pretty much cover it?  If there's something I've forgotten, please let me know.  If not, ready, set, cut!!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would LOVE to be included in this exchange! Depending on how many pieces are needed..I may need 2-3 slots. I have 3 grandbabies ( boys and girls) under 18 months. This would be the perfect quilt for them when they start talking. Thanks so much for running this project.

Okay, let me see if I understand this.

If I sign up for one slot, and there are 20 who sign up, I agree to send in 20 fancy cut 5" squares of 1, 2, 3, or more different fabrics. In return I will receive one of each of my fabrics back and one of each of the fabrics sent in by the 19 other people.

If I sign up for two slots, then say I am person 19 and person 20. I agree to the above, but will get two blocks from the other 18 people. (This allows for making a quilt with two of each block in it so kids can find the matching blocks.)

The more sets a person sends in, the more sets thy receive in return. No?

Okay, I am getting confused. I am thinking that by signing up for two slots and say there were 20 people, I would need to send in 20 squares measuring 5 inches of two different fabrics. Is this correct or am I way off in my thinking?

Mary

P.S. Sorry to beat a dead horse, as we country folk would say but I have never participated in any of these swaps before and I want to do this correctly.

Barb, if one slot means one fabric only then I think you had better sign me up for two slots.  Two means I will send members# of 5" square from two different  fabrics, correct? And how about that game....I hope you were rooting for the correct team!!

Archived