Bobbin & Top Thread - favorite combinations? New George owner

I'm a new George owner and am enjoying doing practice samples of various top threads to learn how to adjust tensions for different threads.Please share if you have any favorite combinations of brands/thread types.

I used a bobbin that I filled with Bottom Line and found it seemed to work well with various top threads: Marathon Poly, Mettler Poly Sheen, YLI Machine Quilting 100% cotton, Glide TriLobal Poly, YLI Sild and Guterman Poly.  Then I wondered about the So Fine#50  for bobbin thread, which has a matte finish.  Would it have more "tooth" to grab top threads than the Superior Bottom Line?  I've got one spool of the So Fine and I'm going to try it next with the same top threads as before.

I have many small thread spools of various colors, weights, etc that I'd like to continue to use on my quilt tops with free motion quilting.

I'm thinking if I find a favorite bobbin thread and buy it in many colors, if it worked well in combination with most other threads, then I'd always have a bobbin thread to match or complement the top thread color. Do you have any favorite brands, thread names or other suggestions in starting a bobbin thread collection?  Thanks, Donna

I use a lot of different top threads, although my very favorite is Glide by Fil-Tec.  In the bobbin?  ALWAYS Magna-Glide Bobbins from Fil-Tec.  I have not wound one bobbin for my longarm since trying my first Magna Glide in 2008.  Prior to that, I was not a fan of pre-wounds and wound all my own bobbins.  Now my bobbin winder had developed a layer of dust - it sits there unused.  These bobbins are a little more expensive, but what they save me in fiddling with the tension and ripping out bad tension is worth their weight in gold.

I also use MaxiLock for top thread and even use it in my bobbin. Is that good/ bad? I've had no issues doing that. I did try the prewound bobbins given to me by the person I bought the machine from with the MaxiLock and had issues. Perhaps I didn't mess with my tension enough? It seems the prewounds are so thin of a thread, is that what I want for a bobbin thread?

Go easy, I'm a newbie! I feel embarrassed to even ask these questions sometimes because I feel like some of you may be thinking "what is this girl doing with a longarm machine?!"

cpayne -   there are some great posts about thread - if you do a search on  'thread' you will find more ideas!

I have been messing around a bit with my combinations.   I usually use Glide or Superior Magnifico as top thread and a pre wound bobbon  = Wonderfil Decobob.  Recently I have been using the superior super bobs and they rock.   I find the shiny thread with a matt thread on bottom works really good for my tension (so far!)

Also have done so fine top and bottom (wound myself)  and that ran beautifully.    

It really is a big experiment!!!

I've only found a couple threads my Millie doesn't like..........I like them, but the machine doesn't..........those are King Tut and Rainbows from Superior.............most other threads I've tried work fine.  I mostly use So Fine, Omni, Glide, Lava..............Mostly use the magnetic bobbins from FilTec or Superior Super Bobs..............

I also use MaxiLock for top thread and even use it in my bobbin. Is that good/ bad? I've had no issues doing that. I did try the prewound bobbins given to me by the person I bought the machine from with the MaxiLock and had issues. Perhaps I didn't mess with my tension enough? It seems the prewounds are so thin of a thread, is that what I want for a bobbin thread?

Go easy, I'm a newbie! I feel embarrassed to even ask these questions sometimes because I feel like some of you may be thinking "what is this girl doing with a longarm machine?!"

I've used maxi-lock too and it works.  I use a lot of the metro/sigma poly embroidery thread because it has a sheen to it that my customers like, and it's cheap! Don't feel bad about asking questions.  That's how we learn!  This forum has been a great source of info and inspiration for me as a quilter!

I've used maxi-lock too and it works.  I use a lot of the metro/sigma poly embroidery thread because it has a sheen to it that my customers like, and it's cheap! Don't feel bad about asking questions.  That's how we learn!  This forum has been a great source of info and inspiration for me as a quilter!

Thanks Dlnewell, my sister has an embroidery machine and has some of this thread. Don't know why I didn't think to try it!!

• 2 years later...

I'm new to long arms, recently purchased Freddie and am quite happy in this next stage of quilting!  

I do have a good bit of Guterman thread, cotton and polyester.  How are their threads?  Top, bobbin???  I'm going to order thread this weekend. I don't need a lot for some of the quilts and wondered if I could use what I already have especially if it's a color I won't use often.

Are there any threads you've really liked?  Disliked?  I have some Superior So Fine and Filtec, all good so far.  I'm going to order some of the Superior MicroQuilter - have any of you used it?  Top only?  

I've heard Connecting Threads are nice, any comments?

Thank you!!

Lottie:  My favorite combo is YLI Longarm Professional for the top and Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin.  Longarm Professional is strong and relatively lint free. Bottom Line is 60wt (TEX 23 I think) so a lot goes on the bobbin.  I have almost no thread issues with this combo, and that's why I like it.  Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Jim, thank you for your reply and recommendation.  I have used some of Superior's bottom line and their So Fine, both good so far.  I had never heard of YLI Longarm Professional, but have found it on line and will definitely try some of it.  I did try Superior's Microquilter, it blended beautifully, I can see the quilting but not the thread, so it worked very well on a quilt top with a lot of different colors.  It's very fine, almost like a fine hair, but very strong. Thanks, Lottie

Archived