Which width of batting?

I've always carried 90" wide warm and natural for my quilts as well as customers.  The past couple of customer quilts that I've had have been wider than 90" though.  At the moment, I'm cutting the length I need, then piecing it when I run out.  Basically selling the customer twice as much as they need, but then they'll have extra for other projects.  Or, should I just go to the 120" wide rolls next time I order?

Hi Beth.

I keep 90" W&W and 94" wool on rolls to sell. I sell it pro-rated by the running inch and they take home any extra with their quilt. I keep packages of king size (120" X 120") in wool, cotton, and blends for those large quilts, plus some crib-size wool for wallhangings. Anything over the roll size I have, the customer can buy the kings for full price. My customers don't have a lot of options around here and I don't have massive storage space in my studio. I'm using Tuscany 80/20 cotton/wool on a quilt today and I will be getting more of it. The poof that wool provides and the easy care of cotton in one product. I got it at Schencks.

There are two ways to look at it if you only have room to store one roll--if you only use 90" width and have to spend the time and extra batting to piece it for a wider quilt, is the time you take to mess with it less valuable than the batting you will give away if you use 120" wide?  (Did that make sense? :wacko:

Trends is March 13-15, I think. If you plan to attend, Beth, I'd advise ordering any batting right now to be sure it's set aside. You'll have to call to place the order. We went last spring and on Saturday the entire batting department was stripped bare. It's necessary to order rolls anyway, but pre-paying will make sure there's batting for you when you get there. Last year many categories were discounted somewhat and I think batting had an additional 10% off during Trends. Make sure they know you want the Trends pricing.

Archived