EQ7 - frustrated!

Is there some really steep learning curve for this program?  I consider myself pretty savvy technically, but manoman I am so frustrated with this program?   I can't even figure out how to put a block together after several hours of trying it out. 

I think it's back to paper and pencil for me.   :-(      

I saw there's a class at MQX on EQ7 I would like to take - some are soo savvy with it.  I have EQ6 and I do use it quite a bit...I'd like to get the upgrade in the near future.  But I agree it isn't an easy program to master...even though I have done a lot of work with graphic design programs (for someone who isn't a graphic designer or artist in any way) - it seems to be a morph between an average windows program and something of that nature.  But there are some things it's just easier to do on graph paper I agree.  

I'm glad you shared those tutorials Oma I'm going to bookmark them!

Have you watched the videos that come with EQ?  Up in the main menu bar at the top, there's one that says videos, and I found those very helpful when I was first learning.  Also, in the menu bar, is Help, and it has PDFs of lessons to learning EQ.  I've been using EQ since version 5 and I really like 7.  Whenever I haven't used it in a while and want a bit of a refresher, I just watch the videos and I'm good to go again.  I'm especially happy now that they have it for Mac.  No having to go sit at the old Windows desktop anymore!

Linda - what is new in EQ7 versus EQ6, can you tell me?  Is it worth upgrading?

Have you watched the videos that come with EQ?  Up in the main menu bar at the top, there's one that says videos, and I found those very helpful when I was first learning.  Also, in the menu bar, is Help, and it has PDFs of lessons to learning EQ.  I've been using EQ since version 5 and I really like 7.  Whenever I haven't used it in a while and want a bit of a refresher, I just watch the videos and I'm good to go again.  I'm especially happy now that they have it for Mac.  No having to go sit at the old Windows desktop anymore!

I started with EQ 5 and my first experience with new programs was to read the manual and work through the tutorials.

I upgraded to EQ 6 and now to EQ 7.

It is worth the upgrade and easy to do.

I design all my quilts used the program. It's a lot of fun to be able to put in the fabric images and then see them in the quilt before you even cut  anything.

Don't give up, it is well worth the effort!

Sounds like EQ7 now works on the Mac.  Is this the same program that windows has?  What I've found is that sewing software made for windows which is switched to Mac doesn't have all the features that the windows platform had.  Is this the case with EQ7 Mac?

Andrea,

Everybody is right take some of the lessons on using the software.  I used to teach a EQ class at my local quilt shop.  We did it like a block of the month kind of class.  I find that I use it for specific things and I learned those things really well.  There are a ton of features so concentrate on the ones you use the most first.  For instance I rarely paper piece so I left that to later to learn.  I use EQ mostly to get an idea for color and layout so I focused on learning how to alter existing blocks, changing colors and using the different settings features.  

Valarie - I found EQ7 had some excellent new features and was more simplified than versions past.  I've been using EQ since version 4 I think.  I think EQ7 improved how to set blocks, they have pre-designed quilt layouts that you can then add your blocks to, you can fussy cut fabrics, you can upload color swatches much more easily and there are many advanced features for adding notes and such to your quilt designs and blocks.  All in all I found it to be a worthwhile upgrade if you use EQ a lot.  I use EQ for almost every quilt I make.  I usually like to mess with the blocks and come up with some new designs.

Archived