In Anticipation - Difference between Older and Newer Millie's

In the spirit of happy obsessing while waiting for my machine to arrive, I wanted to ask a few questions!

Can anyone tell me what is different on the newer Millie's versus the older ones?  The one on it's way to me is a 2000.  I believe it does not have the low bobbin sensor, touch pad controls, or black light (it should have the old style fluorescent lights).  But other than that, and the color, are there any other major differences?  Just for the sake of curiosity?  I imagine in a few years I will upgrade again...   :)

Also I did not order bliss, but the MM wheels and new carriage...I will be using it on my older aluminum frame.  Did anyone have a significant difference in movement between the MM's and Edge Riders?  I'm really excited to see if this makes an improvement in movement for me.  Am I correct the newer machines with bliss have MM wheels on the part of the carriage that moves the machine front to back and then the bliss bearing wheels on the actual frame track?  (Sorry I don't know the proper terms...)

OH - also, I know the newest Millie's come with the interchangeable feet - but what is the foot that the older machines came with?  I have been using the old spoon foot on my Ultimate 1 so this is another feature I'm really excited about...a new FOOT!

Another question!  If any of you went from non-stitch regulated to stitch regulation...how long was the transition in getting good shapes?  I am anticipating a learning curve but I really don't know what to expect.  I have tested s/r machines but usually at a show and they are at their top level of performance with all the newest features.  I keep hearing the drag of s/r can cause to you to have to re-learn making good feathers and round shapes again...was this true for any of you here?

Good for you Valerie, there will be no stopping you now.  The foot I expect you will receive would be the ruler foot the same diameter as your spoon foot but about a quarter inch high.  As you know you can get a black fluorescent bulb and change back and forth as needed.  I expect someone with your skills will have the movement thing figured out it a couple of minutes.  I don't do much freehand but with my limited experience I like the M&M better and they seem to last longer.  A few of us had issues when we switched to M&M wheels and APQS came up with a grounding kit which seems to have solved the problem  Ask if your machine has the kit already installed and if not I would ask them to send you the kit.  Brenda did tear a customers quilt when she had the problem.

Nigel 

I have a 2008 millie, and I use the stitch regulator all the time.  I've tried pebbling with out it, and while the machine moves somewhat smoother, I still prefer to use stitch regulator mode because I like the uniformity of stitch length.  But....your quilting looks terrific with your non-regulated machine, so I doubt you'll have problems with anything.  Keep us posted!  Something I would not be without is my motorized fabric/quilt advance :) .

Thank you Ann!  Ohmagawsh I'm so excited - I tracked the shipment and it's about 50 minutes away from me!!  Woohoo!  

QUESTION:  The ruler foot that comes with the 2000 Millie - do you think it will go all the way around rulers?  I was able to use rulers pretty well on my Ultimate 1 with the spoon foot - however the back of the foot wasn't high enough to go around the ruler so I had to think up creative ways to quilt all the way around things like circles...think I'll be ok now???

Hi Valerie,

Congratulations on your purchase. There's no telling what you'll accomplish with the new machine.

The only other feature I can think of that MIGHT not be on your machine is quilt glide. Not sure when that came out...

You may find that you LOVE the SR. for things like ruler work, but prefer to use non SR. for feathers, pebbles, etc since that's what you're used to doing. I turn it off about 50% of the time. Rounded shapes are so much easier without it. I find I get much less fatigue with it turned off and can work for longer periods. If you're sure of the stitching path, non is better.

I switched to MM wheels from the old standard APQS wheels and so far, that has been enough of an upgrade for me.

I do plan on Blissing one of these days, tho.

Can't wait to see what you do...have fun!

Thank you Meg!  I was looking up the Quilt Glide feature (which looks AMAZING and perfect for me by the way) and I think it came out in 2008 so I don't think my  machine will have it.  Just having S/R will be HUGE for me though.

So great to hear about the MM wheels and I will look for the kit as Nigel talked about when it arrives.

Thank you so much!  I am so excited!

I suspect I will upgrade again to a newer Millie and frame with Bliss one of these days...but I am just going to go slow as I can afford it.  I am happy as a clam right now though and CANNOT wait to get playing!  

...and Nigel I'm so thrilled to hear that I should be able to go around rulers all the way now...I'm really looking forward to that!!!  It will make so much work easier and faster now!

Hi Valerie,
Congratulations on your purchase. There's no telling what you'll accomplish with the new machine.

The only other feature I can think of that MIGHT not be on your machine is quilt glide. Not sure when that came out...

You may find that you LOVE the SR. for things like ruler work, but prefer to use non SR. for feathers, pebbles, etc since that's what you're used to doing. I turn it off about 50% of the time. Rounded shapes are so much easier without it. I find I get much less fatigue with it turned off and can work for longer periods. If you're sure of the stitching path, non is better.

I switched to MM wheels from the old standard APQS wheels and so far, that has been enough of an upgrade for me.
I do plan on Blissing one of these days, tho.
Can't wait to see what you do...have fun!

Archived