Ugh!!! torn quilt help

Well I just torn a quilt I had been working on for QoV and ripped a 3 inch hole in it right along a seem line in the middle of the quilt. I wasn't paying attention when rolling while I was looking for areas I hadn't quilted. Kept telling myself not to do that because this is what happens. Any way I have a question about the back tear. What can I do to repair the area should I just make a strip to cover the area and hand sew it on the back. It will not have very much quilting in that area and wondering if I should work more quilting into the quilt in that area to help make it disappear? The front has a strip border that I ripped along the seam and hoping to get a piece of fabric that is the same to cover that area. What are some suggestions of how to make this work? :(

You can applique something appropriate (a star, a medal, or a fussy-cut flag/swag) on the front if covering it with like fabric doesn't work. Make an odd number of appliques and scatter them "artistically" so it looks planned. Fuse them and quilt them down, even if the area has already been quilted. For the back tear, can it be covered with the label? If not, make an applique like the ones mentioned above and hand-stitch it down. You can always add a personal note of thanks to the vet, on the repair fabric.

Is that the fix or is that the tear? It looks like you opened a seam and didn't tear the fabric much. Is that right? The "scuffed" areas can be camouflaged with a matching-color Pigma pen. Great job!

edited to add--an applique of anything besides matching fabric will ruin the careful piecing of this top. It's wonderful and a great tribute to our vets.

Archived