Any Ideas on How to Quilt this English Cottage Quilt?

I made this quilt a few years ago and was saving it until I had a little more quilting experience under my belt.  But now I am staring at it and it isn't saying anything special about how it would like me to quilt it.  Does anyone have any inspiration on how to quilt this? I don't have a computerized setup, so any quilting will need to be controlled by my hands, accompanied or not by rulers. 

This group has helped me before and I really appreciate it, so I am hoping someone will be able to point me in a creative direction.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Becky

post-832-0-11859700-1426169562_thumb.jpg

I love the quilt.  I think you should really define the houses to really accent their detail.  They're the stars of the quilt so make them shine.  I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas for the background fill work. 

I would use the lines of the houses to showcase them, grass and sky line movement fills for the cottage backgrounds and CC in the squares in the center and the border.  The white spacing border could use a free flowing vine that would have tendrils going into the center of the border triangles.  A very pretty quilt.

That is a very pretty quilt with a lot of piecing. I love your colors. I echo the idea of making the houses the focus of the quilt, with the background filled. One cute idea would be to run horizontal lines below the houses to represent a pathway between them with vertical lines leading to the doorways. Sort of a "neighborly" vibe. That way you'll have less background to fill. I'd use thread to match the background so it's subtle. A wisp of smoke from each chimney would also add a homey touch. Then fill all around your "art"---maybe with pebbles between the path and the house. Please post pics when you've finished. So great that this one will be yours to keep.  :)

I did a house quilt recently and used the houses, and roofs, and doors etc to practice different free form ideas. Some of the roofs had scallops/clam shapes, some had lines like shingles, some had cross-hatching etc. The walls also had different fills - straight lines, wavy lines, pebbles, ribbon candy. I also did different window treatments for each window - 'drapes', mullions (is that what they're called?), etc.

Really pretty quilt!

Thank you all for your wonderful design suggestions.  Based on your input, I'm going with the CC in the border and center portion.  I like the ideas of detailing the cottages and adding smoke coming from the chimneys, as well as grass, sidewalks, and leafy vines to fill some of the open areas.  Now I just need to get started.  I am so glad to be working on my own quilt.  I used to quilt for others (not full time though) and for the most part I enjoyed it.  But I never got around to quilting anything for myself unless it was a quick pantograph, so now it is fun to be able to put some detail into my own creations!  Thanks again for your help.  

Archived