MQS show...which instructors for my first classes?

I will be attending the MQS show coming up in May. I am a newbie, having bought a used APQS within the last 6 months. I've been admiring the beautiful quilting that many of you do, and would like your opinions on which teachers would be best for a newbie to gain the most helpful information from. So far, I've done some charity quilts, meandering, circle lord boards and a few pantographs.

Thanks for your help!

Judy

Deloa Jones' sampler class will give you great ideas for different blocks. She would be perfect for other classes if something catches your eye.

Karen Marchetti is fairly new as an instructor but her classes look great for an enthusiastic beginner.

If you want to learn feathers, several instructors offer beginner classes.

I would stay away from hands-on classes if this is your first rodeo. You'll be nervous, especially if you're using an unfamiliar machine, and the lessons are hard to get to stick in your brain.  And the classes are expensive... ;)

Not sure if she is teaching there, but I just bought Angel Huffman's DVDs from her website;    http://www.quiltedjoy.com   They are great..........over 6 hours of instruction from loading a quilt to feathers, using rulers, pantos, stencils, freehand...........I get a lot of good from DVDs as I can play them again and again until the lesson sinks into my head.   haha   This is like getting your own personal class.....

Great to know you are coming to Iowa! I was a newbie at MQS years ago. I have learned all my skills from teachers at this show! They even have a grant program that you can apply for in the fall that awards you money to take classes. I won a grant for my first year. You could try for a grant to help with classes for next years show.

You can also volunteer to be a Teacher Angel where you take roll and help the teacher hold quilts, pass out hand outs, and such. Karen McTavish once had me get her some much needed coffee! If you pay for 2 classes you can TA 1-- pay for 4 classes TA for 2 classes. You get to hear and see the whole class and the teacher usually gives you a free hand out. It is a great way to save money and still learn. If you TA for a hands on class you do not get to work on a machine but you do get to see what everyone is doing and learning. The web sight has how you sign up for it.

Hope to see you there!

Here's a suggestion. Don't sign up for a lot of classes. You're brain will explode from overload. I've heard this from more than one new longarmer.  Ditto on Dawn and Deloa. Both offer excellent classes. You'll also be tempted to buy every ruler sold at the venders. Take it easy there and start with those that can be used multiple ways. I have so many rulers that I had great intentions to use but are still in their wrappers.

Not sure if she is teaching there, but I just bought Angel Huffman's DVDs from her website;    http://www.quiltedjoy.com   They are great..........over 6 hours of instruction from loading a quilt to feathers, using rulers, pantos, stencils, freehand...........I get a lot of good from DVDs as I can play them again and again until the lesson sinks into my head.   haha   This is like getting your own personal class.....

Thanks so much, Linda! I'm glad you've found them helpful.

Angela,

I wish you were coming to the MQS show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I would definitely take that class. Sorry, won't make it to MQX. I may order a set of your Dvd's. They sound helpful.

Jennifer,

Thanks for the info about the TA. I remember reading about it last fall. I'll check into that.

Thanks everyone. I bought sketch pads yesterday, in preparation of this show. Can't wait!!!

Judy

Archived