Issue with Glide top thread shredding

Help please...been using cotton thread but wanted to use Glide on this quilt...also using Glide bobbins. I will be quilting away and the top thread catches a bit and then shreds itself...top thread only...tension is great. changed needles at first of quilt and once more. Was quilting fine before with the cotton.  In fact tension is better with the glide bobbins I think.

Barb

Could the thread be catching on the bottom of the thread cone?  I am not near any Glide thread at the moment but if memory serves me correctly the base of the Glide cones can be pulled downwards to secure the end of the thread when not in use.  Is the base closed up properly, or is there a rough spot on base of the cone?

If it's shredding above the needle plate, check for burrs on your pigtail guides, especially the one just above the needle. Even if you don't feel a burr, turn that last one upside down and try it. If the thread is breaking at the needle plate, check for roughness in the needle plate hole. Sometimes poly thread can't take running back and forth through the needle eye a bunch of times. I use Sewer's Aid on all threads except invisible. It keeps the thread "cool" and it shreds less.

• 5 months later...

i too have a LOT of problems with glide shredding...but its such a pretty thread!!!

last night, i was quilting away doing a spine for feathers...finish the row to find that the top thread had repeatedly shredded but kept on stitching so there were 1" gaps in stitching every 6-8"!

i also have more trouble with the bobbin recoiling-not a few strands, but an entire wad of the wraps coming loose together, if you know what i mean-as if an entire layer 1/8" deep of bobbin wraps shifted loose.

i think the thread IS catching down in the bobbin area. I retest the tension off to the side every row. I also try to keep the tension a tad tighter, and i notice that if i put more pressure on the quilting foot it helps. ( i have the ult II with the glide foot, and with cotton or cotton/poly thread i raise the foot a touch more than normal and it sews better.) last night i put the foot tighter to the quilt and it did stop catching. 

jackie

Archived