New little sewer

How about the next-step "sewing card"? Get a plastic (blunt) craft needle and some laminated fabric. Or laminate your own with the iron-in plastic for making placemats. Use a tiny hole punch or an awl to make holes along the edges. Show your little sewer the in-out stitch instead of the whip stitch and have them sew along the edges. Use crochet thread since its strong and comes in bright colors. Four blocks sewn together will make a nice table mat. The seam allowances can be finger-pressed open and the edges finished with a deckle-edged scissors or pinking shears. Then they'll have a little mat that's waterproof (mostly), decorative, and they did it themselves!

*sigh* I wish I had grandkids..... 

Put her on your saddle stool with something in front for her feet and let her quilt placemats with squiggly lines on your longarm. from the front of your machine. My 5-year old granddaughter loves quilting placemats and appreciates that her hands are away from the needle. When she helps set the table she always picks out the ones she quilted. Kids are fun to watch, careful but no inhibitions!

Archived