variegate thread breaking

First thing to check is that you're threaded correctly and that your top thread tension isn't too tight. Thread the needle and pull smoothly through the needle towards the back. The thread should pull smoothly and the spring on your tensioner should deflect from one-half to three-quarters of an inch down. Adjust the knob until you get a smooth pull. 

Is your thread cotton or poly? With cotton thread, the darkest color is the weakest because of the dye process. Do a firm tug of the thread in two fists and break it. If it breaks easily, or breaks a couple of tries on the same color, you may need to pick another thread. If it's breaking only on the darkest color, apply some Sewer's Aid (liquid silicon) to the thread and give it a another try.

If the thread is poly, when it breaks, raise the take-up lever to its highest point and carry the thread back to the needle without unspooling any more thread. If it's breaking at the eye or above--change needles, look for rough spots (burrs) on the pigtails, and apply some Sewer's Aid to the thread. If it's breaking at the needle plate or below--check for burrs in the needleplate hole and also your hook. Look in the manual for the places to check on the hook and how to buff them out. Also check that your hook retaining finger isn't into the slot too far for the thread to pass without getting pinched. It's a metal finger screwed above and in front of the bobbin assembly, on the underside. It keeps the bobbin assembly from rotating. Adjust it so it's only far enough into the slot to stop the rotation.

Good luck and do a search here for breaking thread to find lots of advice.

I have more issues with variegated thread than solids. They seem weaker where the colour changes......yet I love them some things, like pantos. I find I run both my top and bottom tension quite loose, but still balanced and it helps. Amy told me to thread it through two holes in both 3 hole tensioners rather than the normal threading, and it does help.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived