Design help needed

A new customer gave me this quilt.  My first question has to do with the background design for the two tree, house, and two applique blocks.  Would the quilt look better if the background was all the same?  Would you make the applique blocks different, but keep the trees and house the same?

If you look at the red/white blocks, and the border around them, the white spaces aren't even.  Is there a way quilting it would make it look better?  or it's best just to ignore it?

Any ideas for quilting the red blocks?  Thanks

post-4298-0-99865300-1429621352_thumb.jpg

My creative juices are flowing if she was willing to pay for it I would make a scene in the center area add a path toward the bottom applique , add ground fill from the tree trunk down and sky fill up from there add smoke for the chimney, echo the zig zag in the red border then piano key the border from the edge of the quilt to the edge of the red zig zag. Not sure if this is appropriate for you. I hope Linda chimes in, or others  I look for seeing how every-one would attack this.

Happy quilting

That is a really cute quilt!  I think if I were doing it, I would do a curly type of background in all of the white areas, or some sort of pebbling/curly/swirl combination.  I would either do some parallel lines or diagonal feathers in the red zig zag, and then cc the border blocks.  I'm sure whatever you decide to do it will be beautiful.  Your work is always gorgeous!

16642473354_be4f239313.jpgLibby by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

I know that time and what the client wants to pay are all a consideration...for me, I might break things up a little like this as a jumping off point.  You could go nuts in that open negative space or reign it in and just do simple fills to add texture.  I might do something middle of the road - like some curved cross hatching and feathers and add a fill behind it...present it to her with a cost and then you can make it simpler or more complicated depending on what she'd like to see and what her budget is.  I would definitely do the most detail within that white negative area because it's where it will be seen best.  Everything else I'd keep simple.  Straight lines, continuous curves, maybe some small details here and there to keep things consistent.  If she wants detailed you could do some pebbling or swirling in the white areas outside of the red zig zagging pieced border to keep with a consistent level of quilting...

I don't have any suggestions other than supporting all the great ideas you've already been given, but I know whatever you do will be beautiful.  Your work is always inspiring.  I love what I can see of the quilt peeking out from behind this new one you'll be working on.

Can't wait to see how you quilt this beautiful quilt!

I agree with Valerie (nice job) with framing in the focal point (center applique-house, trees) and do your intricate quilting there as that is where you eye is drawn to. The rest should be basic quilting like continuous curves and lines...maybe echo inside the pinwheels and chevron frame.  Whatever fill you use in the white should be continued throughout all the white.  I would do continuous curves in the hexie border to look like flowers.

Valerie - what application are you using to insert a picture and then draw on it to audition your quilting.  Are you using a tablet, or laptop, etc. and most specifically, what stylus allows you to draw thin lines?

Shari

Thanks Shari!  - I am using a Wacom Bamboo Tablet that comes with a stylus pen to draw my designs onto the photo.  It also comes with Corel Painter Essentials 4 (it's like a slightly more detailed paint program, but not as detailed as full on graphic design software like Paintshop Pro). You could use paint though truly, or a number of other programs/applications.  I actually bought mine from someone used here on the board!  :)

- Valerie

I agree with Valerie (nice job) with framing in the focal point (center applique-house, trees) and do your intricate quilting there as that is where you eye is drawn to. The rest should be basic quilting like continuous curves and lines...maybe echo inside the pinwheels and chevron frame.  Whatever fill you use in the white should be continued throughout all the white.  I would do continuous curves in the hexie border to look like flowers.

Valerie - what application are you using to insert a picture and then draw on it to audition your quilting.  Are you using a tablet, or laptop, etc. and most specifically, what stylus allows you to draw thin lines?

Shari

Archived