Question about supplying backing and binding?

As usual my morning starts off reading the forum and quilting things...which bring up questions.

For those of you that quilt for others, how many of you actually provide the backing?  That surprised me to hear that because I would have thought that the quilter would make the backing and provide it.  So if you provide the backing that means you have to piece the backing to make it large enough...and then who decides what fabric to use?  So if you provide the backing does that mean you carry fabric or do you have to shop for it before making the backing?

Same thing for binding....how many of you add the binding?  I know many probably just sew it to the top and let the quilter hand stitch it to the back but does anyone actually take the time to add the binding completely?  I hate doing binding.

Fixing to leave for 5 days so won't be bugging you with questions.

David

Hi David. 

If you decide to add backers to your offerings, remember that the cost of the backers will tie up profits in inventory that you may never sell. It isn't like thread which turns over and where you can keep a wide variety of types and colors without a huge outlay of cash. The businesses that offer backers will sell extras-wides since they don't require piecing. They charge by the running inch (just like batting on a roll) and the customer buys the whole amount necessary whether they need the entire width or not. The excess is returned to them. I'm nor sure if Sew Batik still has their longarmer program where you become a member and offer Sew Batik backers. You keep samples of their very pretty batiks to show your customers. You don't keep fabric in inventory, but order it as your customer makes a choice. It's a handy system but I don't think you make much money with it. 

I realized early-on that I can't be everything to everybody. I don't supply backers but I do offer batting, which I buy wholesale and sell retail. I don't make binding for my customers but am happy to sew their pre-made binding to the front while the quilt is on the frame. ( I charge $25-$40 depending on the size and it usually takes about an hour. It's pretty easy money!) If I get yardage from a customer instead of a pieced backer, I charge $10 a seam to piece it.

Don't offer something that doesn't make you money. This is a convenience for your customers and while you'd expect to make a profit on the fabric you sell, remember that shipping costs and even the time you spend finding and ordering fabric either online or at a store, are things that should be considered when pricing your retail offerings. 

I don't offer finishing the binding by hand-stitching it to the back, but I refer customers to a friend who offers this service. I think she charges about $50 for a Queen. She says it figures out to about $5 an hour!

I guess as an overview, you need to find the fine line where what you charge a customer for a service or product is more appealing to them than having to take the time and energy to do it themselves. And you need to make sure it's profitable for your business. 

Hey Linda

Thanks a lot for replying.  That answers my questions.  I just never knew that quilters would offer a backing so it sort of shocked me to find out and I was curious about it.

Learning more and more each day from you folks.

David

My local quilt shop owner and I have a great relationship, so in my particular situation it would be a bad idea to offer backing fabric or batting to my customers.  I meet all my customers at her shop, where they often end up buying what they need from her.  So, even though she has several longarmers who have asked her to hand out their cards, guess whose card gets handed out first!  I also charge $10 per seam to piece backing fabric.

Carol

We do not have a local quilt shop in our area and I found many of my clients would have to cancel their quilting spots with me because they didn't find a backing for the quilt top on time or the one they ordered online was not the color they were expecting. So to reduce this issue I started carrying 10 colours of Stonehenge extra wide backing and I was pleasently surprised at how many of my clients buy their backing from me now.  It has been a great addition to the business, and fewer cancellations!   My clients love the convinces of getting batting and backing from me.

Archived