Thread shredding, breaking and skipping stitches on my ultimate II

Ginmom4

Hi all!  I just purchased a used ultimate II machine last week.  So far it has been great, except every once in a while the thread will start to break or shred, and the stitches will skip.  It is not every time just every once in a while.  Does it sound like a timing issue?  I have checked for burrs, cleaned and oiled everything and changed the needle.  Tension seems to be just right The top thread and bottom thread have no loops peeking through.  I have done the drop test with the bobbin, and then set the upper tension after that.  I am using a cotton thread, maybe I need to hydrate the spool?  I have a brand new needle in place. I am fairly new to the long arm quilting world, and would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Ginger

You can use sand paper strip to even out the wear, also maybe to loosen your sandwich a bit or weave the thread through the holes & or use sewers aid on your thread. Play with your tension on a piece of scrap sandwich first, it might help you.

Hey Ginger, how are ya. Depending on it age, you might have a needle bar bushing problem. Put the needle at it lowest position & see if the needle bar moves back & forth & side to side. This will cause your skipping & the thread shredding. Zeke.

When the bushings go bad the needle bar moves opposite of the machine motion. When this happens, the hook will miss the loop of thread on the down stroke, because it may not be in it normal position. Just that little movement caused by the bad bushing will send the loop catty whompus. It will also shred the thread as well. With the loop being catty whompus, the hook might just catch the thread at it's mid point and thread it in half. Zeke

I did own one for 14 years. I know the UII inside and out. 916-689-4992.

Archived