Photographing quilts

I think you need to post a photo of what you are describing, along with telling the group what thread (top/bottom) you are using, and the type batting.  Then I believe the group would be able to better guide you.

Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey 

Be sure the quilt is hanging flat. Have a stand or hanging system so the quilt is straight and secure. A plus is an invisible hanging system where the clips or clamps are not in the picture.

Use the no-flash setting on the camera while lighting from the top or side so your stitches show. That's the best suggestion to get a good shot of the quilting.

Sometimes a casual arrangement with the quilt artfully laid over a chair gives a better view of the quilting---like a quilting magazine cover.

Photos for your personal or business use are fine if taken by you, but if you're entering quilts in shows, a professional quilt photographer is worth the money.

Kathy from Tamarack Shack photographs her quilts outside all the time---many times on the frozen lake. Take a look at her blog to get a feel for what she does successfully.  http://www.tamarackshack.blogspot.ca/

After taking photos, they can be cropped, color-corrected, sharpened, brightened, etc. so you can get the best shot of each quilt.

A photographer who is a friend of mine gave me an tutorial on photographing quilts, and after a long time of fussing with the settings on my very nice digital camera, we came to the conclusion that my phone took the best photos.  The rule we came up with was "the newest device takes the best pictures".  Therefore, my phone is newer than my iPad, and takes better pictures, and my iPad is newer than my camera, and also beats out the camera.  He showed me how to use the grid on my iPhone to change the exposure and increase sharpness.  When you are ready to shoot, touch the middle square in the yellow grid that pops up to improve focus.  If you want your photo to be darker, point to a dark area, touch the middle square, then move back to your original focal point.  Same idea to lighten your photo.  You can google photographing quilts for tips on hanging them and lighting.

Carol

I also use a side light.  I don't have a hanging system yet, so I go with Linda's suggestion of throwing finished quilts over a chair or my dining table in a vignette.  Then I bring a stand light over to the side with a paper lantern (bought at Cost Plus World Market or Pier One Imports) over the light source to soften the glare.  It brings out the stitching and shows off my work well.  I used Pinterest and other photo sources to get ideas.  Good Luck.

• 8 months later...

It's amazing what a person can find while looking for something else entirely.  Don't know how I missed your post the first time, Kathy, but thank you very much for such great information! 

I know you said you're "not a photographer," but you sure do know a lot about photographing quilts!

It's amazing what a person can find while looking for something else entirely.  Don't know how I missed your post the first time, Kathy, but thank you very much for such great information! 

I know you said you're "not a photographer," but you sure do know a lot about photographing quilts!

Thanks Betsy, glad that post helped!

I guess I should say I'm a 'Self Taught Photographer!'  :)

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Kathy!

I just found this post and followed the link to your blog and your info and photos are awesome! I do a lot of photography and have wonderful equipment but photographing quilts just wasn't something I do... and that needs to change! I will start implementing your tips because you gave really good advice.

Archived