Ruler thickness - Question!!

Hello Experts!

I have a quick question about ruler work with my Millie, more specifically the ruler thickness and how it applies.  I have a Millie with a 1/4" foot, and I understand I need minimum 1/4" rulers so I don't run over them with my hopping foot and break things.  I get that.

But I'm looking at some used items to add to my tools, and some of them are 1/2" thick.  

Is there any reason I cannot use a 1/2" ruler with my Millie?  It seems to me that thicker would be better, but before I buy one, use it and wreck something, I thought I would ask the experienced community here.  I believe the point is to not have a thinner surface that potentially sneaks under the hopping foot, but would a thicker surface pose unexpected problems?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!!

Beth

Beth, thicker shouldn't be a problem, except at the back of the hopping foot, where the shank comes out at a bit of an angle, so for ovals or circle templates, 1/2" might be too thick. But for most everything else, you should be fine.

I only have a George but when I bought 3/8 inch rulers when my table was being shipped down in January, I found that the needle bar screw would touch the 3/8 inch ruler and push it away from the ruler foot.  I tried it on a APQS machine at an expo, and found the same to be true on the longarm machine.  

I might suggest you take your rotary cutter rulers and stack them on each (or on top of your 1/4 inch ruler) other to get a 1/2 inch thick to see how they fit on your machine.  You may lose areas that they will not work as Barb said above.

Cagey

Beth if you are looking at purchasing rulers for sale on this forum.  I am sure the 1/2" referred to is not the height of the ruler but rather the rulers are marked for a different foot to the current APQS feet.  So if you ignore the ruler markings or make your own it should be good.

Just a note about the needle bar clamp screw.  I don't know why APQS uses a headed cap screw to clamp the needle.  A long time ago, I replaced that screw with an Allen screw similar to the one used on my Gammill.  It's much less bulky, the slot doesn't get damaged, and the screw will hold the Allen wrench while you're changing the needle.  I think it also is less likely to damage the needle bar screw threads.  I keep the Allen wrench for mine, taped on the top of the light bar so it's always handy.  I highly recommend the change.  BTW, I bought the Allen screw form Quilt Tech.  It's smaller than Gammill's, and I don't think my local hardware store carries that size.  Jim

Archived