Thread caught inside Millennium

Hi!

I was quilting along happily & I noticed my thread broke, then I noticed it had twisted inside the machine.

Now it won't make a full needle up/down revolution.

I've taken off the cover & removed the thread, but it still won't make a full cycle which tells me there's still thread caught but as I was using invisible thread, I can't see it.

Can anyone provide any help as to how to start to fix this?

Thank you!!

Robin

If you have thread wrapped around the flywheel (inside), remove the side cover and use a powerful light to find it if you can. Then use a scalpel-style seam ripper to cut the thread out. Long hemostat tweezers are a great tool as well. Remove the needle because you may need to run the flywheel in reverse. Catch an end if you can and manually turn the flywheel to unwind the thread. Good luck and I hope you can get it all out.

If you have thread wrapped around the flywheel (inside), remove the side cover and use a powerful light to find it if you can. Then use a scalpel-style seam ripper to cut the thread out. Long hemostat tweezers are a great tool as well. Remove the needle because you may need to run the flywheel in reverse. Catch an end if you can and manually turn the flywheel to unwind the thread. Good luck and I hope you can get it all out.

Ok, so I've opened the cover & I have removed all the thread I can see, however the machine still won't cycle smoothly & I can't see where the caught threads would be located.  It does rotate smoother in reverse however....

Do you have any ideas on how to dig in there deeper to remove caught threads?  I'm nervous about removing anything else....

I would continue to look at both the top and bottom of the needle bar.  If you see a small piece of invisible thread, do your best to pull it out.  The needle bar bushing area is slightly recessed into the head, so you may have to flip the machine over or use a mirror to get a good look at the underside.  

I would continue to rotate the fly wheel with your fingers and look all around for a small piece of thread.  It would not take much to tighten things up.  You might try putting a drop of two of oil on the needle bar to see if it will loosen the thread, and help work it out.  

Before I would do anything other than that, I would call Amy on Monday.  She can probably steer you in the right direction to fix your machine quickly.  

Good luck.

Cagey

I would continue to look at both the top and bottom of the needle bar.  If you see a small piece of invisible thread, do your best to pull it out.  The needle bar bushing area is slightly recessed into the head, so you may have to flip the machine over or use a mirror to get a good look at the underside.  

I would continue to rotate the fly wheel with your fingers and look all around for a small piece of thread.  It would not take much to tighten things up.  You might try putting a drop of two of oil on the needle bar to see if it will loosen the thread, and help work it out.  

Before I would do anything other than that, I would call Amy on Monday.  She can probably steer you in the right direction to fix your machine quickly.  

Good luck.

Cagey

Thanks!

I spent quite a while with a headlamp & a hemostat & I found the beginning of the thread.  From there I was able slowly unwind & unwind & unwind..... well I ended up with a very large pile of thread & a machine that works again!!!

Whew- One quilt finished, now onto the next!

Do yourself a favor & take the other side cover off as well. Now you can work from both sides and see much better. Zeke.

Thanks!  I started to, but got intimated about taking off the tension discs.  For future reference how difficult is it to take off & replace?

Robin:

I am glad that you got all the thread out, and your machine is up and running again.  I figured if you looked hard enough, you would find the problem. 

I believe you would have no problem changing out the tensioner.  If you took the machine apart as much as you have so far, it would not be any more work than you have accomplished.  I believe there is an explanation of how to accomplish this in the manual.

Have a great mother's day.

Cagey

• 3 weeks later...

There are two ways to remove a tension assembly - the obvious way, and the right way.  The obvious way is to take it apart in pieces to get it out of the hole.  The right way (and it's in your manual except for the old, old versions) is to loosen the allen screw around the back corner from the tension assembly, then slide the entire assembly out of the hole.  No pieces to put back together....

Archived