Help, please. Millie is not cooperating!

mamaahma

Does anyone have an idea why my machine would get hard to move in the middle of the quilt?  In about the middle third it feels like I'm trying to push an elephant around (and a stubborn one at that!)  I have M&M wheels  - it just shouldn't be this hard!  The stitches are

great, the thread never breaks - ideas, anyone?

Are you talking the middle third of the table?  It could be that your table width has changed just a little bit, so that the wheels aren't riding on their "sweet spot" in that area.  It could also be that your table is drooping in the middle just a little bit.  What size table do you have?

Thanks Lyn - I did check the cords.  They are plugged into the ceiling, and the only thing they ever hang up on is my neck!  At first I thought it might be the take-up roller being bowed, but I checked that and it was level.  Will check the table after dinner - thank goodness for this forum!

Channel locks are off - it's only hard to handle in the middle third of the table.  I'm disgusted - the harder I have to push,

the more wobbly my panto looks.  I think I'll go to bed - it won't solve anything, but I'll wake up tomorrow ready to tackle

this problem with a better attitude.

My first thought would be a skewed table. But maybe check your wheels. There was a batch of M&Ms with bearings that would seize.  If your wheels have yellow next to the center, they may be part of the bad batch. Mine were worse at one end of the table---which doesn't make sense, but that's what was happening. They should be replaced without charge if they are bad.

I will be happy to hear the answer to your problem as I , also,  am experiencing the same thing.   It is really hard to move the machine over certain areas of the quilt.  I struggle with it.  My shoulder and arms hurt .  I have a Freedom, 12ft. table.

I had the problem a couple of years ago and APQS replaced my M&M wheels.  That worked until recently and It is happening again.  We have checked for level of table, width of table, anything interfering with  movement.  We even tried adjusting the wheels. 

Thanks for bring up this subject .  I was going to do that today.  Janice

I thought  I had posted a reply but I don't see it. If this is a duplicate--so be  it.

I am experiencing the same problem with my Freedom.  It is very hard to move the machine over  certain areas of the quilt.

I had  this problem a couple of years ago and APQS replaced my M&M  wheels.  It was O:K  unil recently.  I am having the same problem.  We have checked the level of the table , the height  and width.  I clean the machine rails daily hoping that will help.  My arms and shoulder hurt from pushing  & pulling the machine. 

I was going to address this problem today.  Thank you for doing this.  I am anxious to hear  a solution.  Janice

Probably not the solution to your problems, but those of us with pets have to be aware of why our machine heads are suddenly not moving as smoothly as they should.  It's because the dog is laying on the cord and holding it to the ground.  Making sure that it doesn't leap up and attack anything. Then he's so sad when I make him move.  Poor boy. He's such a helper.

Check the bolts that go through the center of the wheels to see if they need to be tightened.   Sometimes they get loose and cause movement problems.  Be careful that you don't turn the adjusting cams while you are doing this.  I just did this on my machine and it does make a difference.

Carol

I talked to Amy today and, as usual, I think she came through.  She thinks it's the table and sent me complete

instructions on how to fix it (Janice, I can forward them to you if you want).  I'm going to try it tomorrow first

thing.  Thank God for Amy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's WORKING!!  Got info from Amy and went to work.  Adjustments were minor, but oh, what a difference!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to come to my rescue!

mine machine gives me grief only on bottom part and only in certain areas, I think I might need to give them a call too. Thanks for the info

Archived