Finally done with my Bedroom quilt...well all except the binding.

Hi All,

I can finally say the quilting is done on this quilt.  It has been on the frame since the end of Jan!  Way tooo long but finding enough time for this amount of detail is difficult.  This quilt will be in my bedroom eventually.  It will debut at the VT quilt show next month and I'm hoping to get it in a few more shows.  I need to figure out what shows and when deadlines are...I'm horrible at that!  I'm thrilled with this quilt and there isn't too much I'd change about it.  I used Metro thread for the green stitching of the feathers and blue chain blocks.  I used cream so-fine for the background work.  My goal was to use a cream on the border fabric so that the feather area would appear to be a darker color and pop more.  I think that was pretty successful.  I did the entire area of quilting before rolling so that when I got to the end it was done.  My sequence was to SID the chain blocks, stitch the feather motifs, stitch the curved cross hatching, lines, pebbles and then do the chain blocks.  Those little squares in the chain blocks are 1" and I did Terry twists and then the feathered heart.  It was a fun quilt to do.  Thanks for looking.

post-2404-0-52885000-1431872057_thumb.jpg

post-2404-0-29310000-1431872065_thumb.jpg

post-2404-0-20440000-1431872073_thumb.jpg

So pretty.  Approximately how many hours of quilting time, and how many bobbins?  I like that it is so feminine and delicate looking.

Teresa I lost count of hours and bobbins but it was a lot!  It took about 12 - 15 hours on average per row and there are 10 rows, plus the 2 borders.  Bobbins I think I went through at least 2 - 3  per row.  I used Magna classic so I think that is around a 100 yards of thread per bobbin I think.  I have my "empties" in a box but I'm not sure they are all of them from this quilt.  Each motif took about 45 min to stitch the feather, pebbles and center cross hatching.  It took about 2 - 3 hours to do the big curved cross hatching across the quilt.  The lines took 6 hours per row in the beginning and then I got that down to about 4 hours.  The blue chain work took about 2 hours to do the row.  Pebbles took the longest mostly because I felt like I was going blind and my eyes would get so tired!  

Stunning! Exquisite! I hope you get many ribbons at the shows.

It would be fun to know what goes on in your head when you're designing something this detailed. Have you ever thought about writing a book, or teaching a classes? I would love it if you did a Craftsy class and I could watch your quilting over and over.

Wow, this is so beautiful! I showed it to my husband and he loved it too. His favorite bit was the straight line stitching outside of the blue chain blocks because it adds emphasis to them. But my favorites are the actual teeny tiny blue squares themselves. I can't believe that you did those baby feathers with the terry twists. Amazing!

Heidi P. with Teresa's 2nd thank you!  No I hadn't thought about writing a book and Craftsy class would be great fun but finding the time to do that would be nearly impossible.  Maybe someday when I'm retired from the day job.  This is my own pattern using EQ to design the chain block and the 10 min. block was from the internet, I just made it smaller.  They are 10" blocks.  Believe it or not the feather is an actual stencil I had!  I always use my stencils to get a shape, spine or whatever to make it work.  In this case the stencil around the 10 min. block was perfect.  Then I used that to create the swag border design.  I had to fudge it a little for the last arch but once I got it figured out it went well.  Then I filled in the design.  My doodles had the curved cross hatching and feathers around the on point square so I was delighted to find the stencil that fit perfectly.  It was still a ton of marking and getting that border right took time but in the end all worth it!  Thank you everybody for the nice compliments.  I have the binding made, quilt timmed to the final measurement and ready to get her done!  

I can't think of anything more to add that hasn't already been said.  It's spectacular!

Love the thread colors you chose and the quilt design is wonderful.  I envy those of you who can come up with designs like this.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Archived