Music Playlist for longarm quilting

I am just getting started having fun with my 1995 Ultimate II, finally moving beyond practice mats onto real quilts. I think it will be a lot more fun if I add some music. I've read comments by many LAQers here and on blogs that they can really get into the zone if they set it to music and many designs just go smoother with a nice rhythm behind them. I can see different types of music being best for different designs such as feathers, pebbles, meandering, pebbles, spirals, and geometrics.

I have found lots of music playlists for running, treadmill and other kinds of workouts, but I have not found any LAQ music playlists. An internet search turns up playlists of quilting videos, but no music.

So I am here to ask--what music do you have on your playlist for your quilting time and do you have favorite music for certain quilting designs?

(If we get a good response, this might even be a good subject to eventually add to the Quilters' Favorites board.)

Valerie

oh I listen to all the goodies from the 70's.....and if you want to google "Cathy Miller the singing quilter"  She has some fun CD's out .....one of my favorite songs from her is "You can Quilt it Out".  I just put on my favorite oldies...something with a bit more grit...like Cher's "Heart of Stone" if I am mood...Niel Diamond, Alabama, sometimes even older like "Herman's Hermits" if you remember them....Lin

I am a classical music fan, too.  Where I live, I can get classical music from Michigan State's NPR station, Detroit Public Schools' NPR station, and CBC Radio 2.  When it's on, I listen to Detroit Tigers baseball, although the enjoyability factor varies there.  ;) 

Thank you so much for your replies. I am enjoying them and will try a couple different things to see what gets me into my quilting "groove."

Keep 'em coming--I would like to hear more, please, especially if you find certain types of music best for certain types of quilting.

Valerie

I listen to CBC Radio 2 Classical, generally choosing the Classical Serenity stream.  Classical music is fundamentally a mathematical equation with ribbons of artistry woven throughout -  describes long arm quilting to me.  

Charlotte

Charlotte, I love that description. Thank you.

I wonder if the William Tell Overture would be conducive to very lively, bouncy feathers? Going to give that a try!!

Flight of the Bumble Bees for a tight, all over meander or some stippling?  May be too fast.

Going to have to check out a few like Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven (of course!), Mozart....

Valerie

I play Hawaiian tunes. The music is smooth as I hula down the table.

Ha ha! What a great picture!! Do you like the Ka'au Crater Boys? That will make for a happy quilt, as will the hula, I bet!

Adding to my list. I am enjoying everyone's answers. Thanks for taking the time to join the discussion.

Archived