Quilting with Batik

PJK

I just finished a quilt with a muslin back and my stitches were perfect all the way through. Now I have started a quilt with a batik back and the stitching is not pretty on the back, I didn't even turn my machine off, even the same thread, do I have to change needles or tension for batik backing?

Thank you

Phyllis

I quilt batik top and back without any trouble.  Normally I use a 4.0 needle but sometimes a 3.5 works better.  Never cotton or 80/20 batting, always Hobbs Polydown or wool, and always poly thread, often Glide.  Sometimes I will wash the backing before loading it, especially if it feels stiff.  Loosen the quilt sandwich a bit so it is not tight.  Sometimes when quilting on batik I will change the needle when it seems to pop in and out of the fabric.  And I do not think that batik requires different tension, but I may be wrong since I adjust mine until the stitches are pretty without thinking about why the adjustment is being made.  Good luck, let us know what works for you.

I had never had a problem with batik front and back..until the last quilt I did. Awful, and sounded like machine gun fire. Changed to a smaller needle and SoFine, washed the backing. Got it done, but it was not as nice as it would have been with a shiny thread. You never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask my clients to wash batik backings, I wash mine all the time. That is to play safe & not to encounter these issues again. I use 4.00 needles & change to new needle if necessary as these batiks wear them out quickly.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm not happy with the stitching and tension. Using a variegated YLI thread via customer's request. Have never used it nor quilted a batik top and bottom before. I'm using a 3.5 needle, Tuscany cotton batting (provided by the customer). Doing some "frogging" today.

Archived