Cats and Longarms

I've ordered my Lenni, but it will be a while before it arrives.  I'm trying to work out where it will live.  The living room is fine with me and my boyfriend, and the dogs are not a problem, either.  My concern is the cats.  Does anyone have cats who have access to their longarm?  Is it a problem?  I'm not worried about fur, there will be lots of that no matter where Lenni lives, I'm more worried about the cats shredding batting or laying on the quilt top and stretching it while it's loaded on the rails.  Has anyone had these problems and figured out a way to solve them?  Any advice is much appreciated, even if it is "Cats and Longarms don't mix!  Put Lenni in a room with a door!"  Thank you so much!

Erica

my friend has a cat....enough said I do not think they play well together. her cat does as you said shreds batting, eats and rips the pantos, and rides the longarm, once in a while she also sleeps in the Hancock that the quilt makes when on the frame or that is what it looks like when she is done with it...It would drive me crazy... 

We have two cats and when I had my machine in the living room the cats would sleep on the quilt between the poles at night.  Cats love anywhere high up.  I finally just cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and would set it on top of the poles at night so that they could sleep on that.  I just put a small quilt on top of the plywood...they liked that.

I moved to the garage and they don't go there.

David

I have cats (and dogs) but the cats are generally not allowed in my sewing room. They will certainly sleep in the hammock that a loaded quilt top provides, as well as in the batting when it is on the floor. I suppose there might be ways you could dissuade them (flip the batting onto the quilt top, and cover the whole thing with a big sheet of plastic, or something 'crinkly' when you are not using the machine) but that's a lot of work for you and as you probably know, cats can be very determined!

Good luck!

Janice

I think it depends on the cat. My cat only likes to hang out there when I am  working there and she usually sits in the chair or window sill. Otherwise she doesn't have much to do with it. I had another cat and she loved to ride it when I was not looking and I would notice the arm getting heavier and look up and there he would be.

It must depend on the personality of the cat.

Alvin doesnt bother with my longarm or anything in the studio, he just lounges on a chair & watches me.

He does, however, come running every time I lie a new quilt on a bed, couch or chair.

I call him the inspector.

Altho I've never had to do this, I did read once that if you have a quilt on the frame and are going walk away, you should release the brake so if the cat tries to jump up there, he fall through to the floor.

I would be concerned about allergies if you are quilting for other people.   If all your quilts are for you, then that's up to you, but I would sure hate to get a quilt back from the quilter after a cat had been on it.   Just my opinion.  

I've had trouble with cats labeling things, like the inside of my car when I was visiting a friend and left a window down. It happened to two different cars. Wouldn't I learn after the first time to never leave my widow down when the car is unattended? Forgot once. It may have been because my car road with me. I love cats and have had one most of my life, but since Kitty died I'm enjoying not being concerned with hair on someone's quilt or worse, having it sprayed.

Thanks for replies with your experiences, everyone. This is for personal use, but if I ever did quilt for others, I would definitely disclose that I have pets. Even if it goes in a room with a door, there's no avoiding fur and dander in my house;-).

Yes, one cat loves the batting that is on the floor. One loves the quilt hammock. One just wants to sleep in the box of batting scraps. I have my machine in a room with doors. I quilt for others but they all have pets. I always close the doors when I leave the room. My most faithful quilt companion leaves the room when I turn off the TV and lights.

I only quilt for myself even so none of our animals are allowed in my quilt room. I've taught them it's a NO. My reasoning is I've put too much time and money into my quilting and my Millie. I love my pets but there is plenty of room in the house without them being in my quilting room.

It's obvious you know all the pitfalls of cat ownership! We love our pets. As long as you only quilt for yourself, all will be well. But as Wanda posted above, you control who (what) you let into the quilting studio. Both cats and dogs can be sneaky and persistent if they want your company. And cats can access areas of your machinery that dogs can't. But you set the rules and close the door if that's what works best for you. Or don't, if you like the company.

Just to add about quilting for customers, someone locally had three Yorkies and also smoked. The dogs ruled the house and had full access to the studio. She never disclosed to her customers about the dogs or the smoking and ended up buying a quilt she quilted for a customer because the customer was allergic to both smoke and dogs.  :blink:

I've had to ban my quilts from the longarm room!  

Yes, they found the canvas on the rollers to great areas to pull themselves back and forth on while sliding on the table.

Yes, the hanging batting seemed to be great hide and seek area and I ended up with three huge holes in the batting.  

Yes, the comfort of a quilt on the frame was too much to resist and became a nice sleeping area.  

Yes, thread hanging down seemed to be 'alive' and was  chewed, pulled and tangled.  

SO.... if you can find a way to keep your cats from doing all of the above, then you won't have any problems.   :rolleyes:

My cat used to like to get on the table, and especially the hammock. I "trained" him to leave them both alone by giving him a shot of water from my spray bottle when he jumped up on the table. He doesn't even sneak up to lay on the quilts (on the frame) but Mr. Whiskers also inspects completed quilts so I have to keep them up and bagged until they are picked up.

I'm allergic to cats, too. So, HOW does the cat KNOW that and come right to ME? lol!  My hubby likes cats, so I always tell them, "Go to HIM, he'll pet you."  ...but they rarely listen.  

And, invariably, eventually, they'll mark something that you care about. or, the reverse could be true, a customer's critter could find your animal's scent and re-mark their territory.  

I couldn't sleep anywhere where a cat's had their fur or dander, and I wouldn't want to put someone that has really bad allergies at risk.

We're animal free-here, now, but we did have a dog for a long time.  He's been gone 9 years. Even this last week, I pulled out some UFO's and found his fur on them...that wasn't an issue for me, but wouldn't be ok if it were a customer's item.  

(omg...so HOW long have I been working on that afghan?! lol!) 

Sammi

I have two kitties and a dog - one was declawed when we found him at the pet store and the other still has claws.  To date no problems with shredding batting - but if you have a kitty you know might like to do that sort of thing, you could always store it in a way that kitty cannot reach.

When I FIRST brought my long arm home the animals had to sort of, learn the boundaries.  I did once have my cat jump up on a quilt that was on the frame as if it were sort of her personal hammock.  Luckily I'm home all day so quilts are really never left alone for them to explore.  I keep client quilts in boxes or bags until it's time to work on them, after they are finished they go on a clothing rack and I generally cover them with a sheet or something to protect them from hair and dander in the air.  Of course - I have pets, so the occasional hair (or five) is going to happen.  But I keep things off the floor, keep tape and lint rollers handy, and try to keep pets and house clean.  I also put a clean sheet overtop of quilts loaded on the long arm when I'm not working on them...and just try my best.

So long as you are on top of those sneaky kitties and take precautions I think you're ok!

Archived