Thicker threads for quilting ... suggestions?

So far I've been very happy using Superior Threads So Fine on my Freddie. It seems to work well with all the quilts that I've done to date. But I have someone who's asked whether I can do something that would mimic the heavier look you get with using perle cottons. Immediately King Tut sprang to mind but I wondered if there were others that you've had good luck with that I should try out.

Thank you.  :)

For shine, try Metro embroidery thread. This is the package I bought. They have other assortments and single cones all for a good price.   http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_35&product_id=360

For matte, King Tut is great variegated, but fussy to work with. Some machines love it, my Millie hates it and I sold all of mine a while ago.

There is a 12 weight that some have used successfully, but I think it needs a bigger needle and maybe retiming to match the needle.     http://www.sulky.com/catalog/sub/sulky-12-wt-cotton-petites-solid-colors-50-yd-snap-spools

Remind your customer that machine stitching will never match hand stitching but a nice heavy line of thread can be very effective, especially on traditional and primitive quilts.

When I want the look of hand quilting I use Perma Core.  It is a thicker, matte finish thread.  I get that at www.lequilters.com.  If I want a thread with a sheen I use BFC, which I also use in my industrial embroidery machine.  I get that at www.bfc-stash.com.  I also have the Metro thread but have been disappointed with it.  My Milli runs the Perma Core and BFC flawlessly.

King Tut works on my Millie but it does get linty in the bobbin case.  It has been years since any client as requested 100% cotton thread so I haven't been using it anymore.  So if your looking to give it a try I would be willing to sell you my 27 cones for a good deal if your interested.   Message me if your interested.  

post-3485-0-74755900-1433103509_thumb.jpg

Archived