Needle Position in relation to Hopping Foot Opening

I think I am losing my mind!!  Here is a photo that shows where my needle is piercing the fabric in relation to the hopping foot.  My Millennium is stitching fine and the stitches are even and locking well.  But it seems to me that my needle position as moved too close to the front of the hopping foot.  I cannot use the foot to put a stitch line 1/4 inch from anything using the front or back of the foot this way.  APQS sent me a replacement foot that arrived this Friday.  This is that foot installed.  Is it possible this is correct?  Am I dreaming that the needle was piercing the center of the hopping foot circle previously?  Hope someone can help me.  Will be contacting Amy Monday afternoon with these new photos.  Thanks!

post-63293-0-11704100-1434218023_thumb.jpg

Yes mine is in the middle maybe your bushings on the hopping foot are worn??? try wiggling the hopping foot and see if there is any play if there is the bushings will have to be replaced, or maybe the problem is the needle bar same idea give it a wiggle. Maybe somebody else more knowledgeable than me could chime in. Good luck 

Terry,  Thank you.  First you have given me mental assurance.  I don't know about the bushings, but my  machine is just one year old and I am not a heavy duty quilter.  But, maybe that is the answer.  Will pursue that avenue with Amy at APQS on Monday afternoon.  There seems to be no play in the bars.  Thanks.

My guess is that your hopping foot is not properly fitted.  My first thought was that it was bent, but since the open toe one fits the same way, I thing there is something wrong with the mount.  If it were mine, I'd make a shim to fit between the foot and the hopping foot shaft that moves the foot forward enough to center the needle.  Jim 

Jim, I have had this thought -the shim. I cannot figure out what happened. As stated, machine is only a year old. Maybe done 30 average to small size quilts. I think something has gradually moved. In the last two weeks I have been working with Apqs on it. Sent earlier photos. They sent a new foot. Like all of us, we thought there was a bad angle on the foot. I now think I need to take the cover off of the machine and "see" what's going on. See you are just east of Dallas in Hunt County.

Mona:  Is this a new development?  (was the needle originally centered in the hopping foot loop, or did you just notice it wasn't?)  Is everything tight?  Looking inside the machine is a good idea, but I can't think of any reason for the misalignment other than a bent foot or wrong fit of the connection, and if you received new feet, and they fit the same way, I just can't guess what it might be.  (I'm assuming that the hopping foot and shaft function properly, and the issue is simply the location of the needle in the hopping foot loop)

I'm not sure where Pearland is, but I'm guessing it's near Houston, right?  Jim

I noticed this same problem when my Lenni was about 18 months old. I couldn't figure out what had changed. Then several weeks later the rocker arm broke. I found this out when I took the left side panel off the head. Amy sent me a new one and I replaced it. That put my needle right in the center where it belonged. I think the rocker arm must have been skewed for a while before it broke, which put my needle off center. Good luck when you talk to Amy tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived