What do you do with these?

qltnbe

You have enough thread on a lot of those to continue using them. I assume you're talking about stitching pantos--there's no harm if you run out of bobbin thread in the middle of a row. If you're more comfortable making sure you can stitch an entire row, save the partials for another use. I do lots of custom quilting so I can use my bobbins until empty---or almost.

I offer some of my skimpy ones to my customers to use for hand-stitching their binding. 

Yes, I have mostly been doing pantos at this point, but I have found that if I run out of bobbin, I tend to get some knotting up in the back of the quilt.  So, I try to avoid that.   Also, not to sound stupid or ignorant, but then what is the purpose of a bobbin reminder if it doesn't matter if you run out of bobbin thread?   Of course, I wouldn't want to run out of bobbin thread or break a thread on a T-shirt quilt since you don't want too many holes in the iron-on prints. Now...what's this about sending back the magnets to Fil-Tec.  I have been throwing them out!  I wish I had saved them now.  I am going to have to check into this.    

Fil-Tec is no longer recycling the magnetic bobbin cores. I have a passle of them; thought I would let the grand kids invent something to do with them. All kids like magnets. I use all my end bobbins for practice pieces and hand stitching binding as well as stitching across the top after loading. Glide thread runs great in my DSM; I've never tried to use the bobbin for the top thread but as long as it can pull (and not feed off the top) I would think it would work fine. Be careful about some computer machines not liking magnets.

One of the ladies in my guild suggested when you are quilting on a charity quilt, that you simply use all the old half-filled bobbins you have to get rid of them.  She did suggest using colors that worked with the quilt back.  It looks to me that you could easily quilt a few blocks or even a small quilt with the amount of thread you have left on them.  Do this, you will probably have to change bobbin thread more than you usually would.

On my George when I run out of bobbin thread, I just load a new bobbin, bring the bobbin thread to the top, and then start quilting about 2 inches prior to where I ran out.  I take about 5 small stitches and them make sure to do my best to hit the old needle holes so both threads are securely held.  I then put a colored safety pin throughout the thread break area, so I can easily find the location to check the back/front for any lose threads or knots that need to be addressed later, with my un-quilting tool.  If you do not do something to mark the location, you will never find it once all the quilting is done.  Which in the big scheme of things is what you want.

Take care, and have a great day.

Cagey

Archived