Need Help

Never having made a wall hanging for a door, and having limited imagination, can someone tell me how they hang a wall hanging on a door.  Making a Halloween wall hanging for DD and she wants to hang it on a door.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Marilyn 

Bed and bath stores have over-the-door hangers that have no hanging hardware and are easy to move to another door. They slip over the top of the door and work even when the door is closed. Front door wreath hangers work the same way. 

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Over-The-Door-Single-Vinyl-Coated/dp/B008XAY4AG/ref=zg_bs_16412751_3

Use one or two, put a rod pocket in the hanging, slip a dowel through, and tie a length of cording to the ends of the dowel. Then hang it from the hook(s).  If you use two, it'll be easier to keep the hanging level.

Another hint I learned from my quilting mentor--with wallhangings, leave the bottom binding miters un-sewn so you can slip in a piece of metal rod a bit shorter than the width. It weights down the bottom and keeps the hanging flat and not so floppy in the breeze. Purchase at Home Depot and they will cut the rod to size for you.

Ha! Looks like Vickie and I think alike!!

You could also put in 2 rod pockets at the top, each slightly less than half the width, so there is a gap in between.  I do this for all my wall hangings.  This way, I have a choice of using a decorative rod, or one that can't be seen from the front, and using a nail or 3M hook to hang it.  I also put a smaller rod pocket at the bottom, and slide a dowel in it to help the wall hanging hang nicely.

A 3M hook should work on a door, too.

Thanks to all of you ladies.    Will find an over the door hanger and then try  Linda's suggestion for the bottom.  Would not have even thought about the bottom.  Don't know if this is for inside or outside.  DD lives in CA and I live in NW Ohio.  Weather conditions are quite different, so she may b e using it on the outside of the door.

Marilyn

Archived