What Did I Do With My Quilting Excitement

Week before last  I started a baby quilt for a nurse in my cardiac rehab that just had a baby boy.  I wanted to complete it before quilt guild meeting this coming Tuesday...BUT...all of these manly chores popped up.  (Disclaimer:  I'm not saying that quilting is not manly but society tells us that quilting is dominated by ladies and is a woman's thing (at least for the moment)..and then there are the "manly" things we guys get to do like plumbing repairs, camper repairs, any kind of repairs where we get dirty and grimy.)

Week before last was one of those weeks where I had to put on my big boy pants and do all of these chores.....then my wife decided she is going to have her 6th shoulder surgery on the 18th so we had to go to doctors apts....so then I decided I needed a break so I took camper and went camping in the 98 degree heat.  Had a great time by the way.  Got back home and had to make a camper repair....broke water filter while camping so fixed it in the heat....now it's house cleaning day (just the wife and I and two cats so you can imagine how dirty our house gets but once a month we give it a good cleaning....she cleans part and I do part....now with her bad shoulder guess who gets to clean all of the house.)

So what happened to my quilting excitement?  I know it's somewhere but can't figure out where I put it.  The top is finished and hanging on my wall board....all it needs is to applique six little animals to six of the blocks and then quilt it.

So come Monday morning I'm going to hunt for that quilting excitement and try and finish the baby quilt....hoping the quilt guild meeting will help me find my excitement again.  I would really like to give the nurse the quilt before the baby is in school.

If ya'll find my excitement please return it.

David

David:  Been there done that.  You need to walk away from the quilting a while.  Relax, do other things, do nothing.  Pretty soon the desire to quilt will re-appear.  You might pick up the quilt and do one applique, or not.  I don't think it will be ready for the guild meeting.  Jim

You are in good company. While I'm not sure what happens in Texas in the Fall, that's when the quilting fairies (or in your manly case, the quilting pegasus?) visit to sprinkle enthusiasm. All the summer fun, visits, and chores are done. The new fabric lines are out and new samples are in the shops. A pattern will call to you. You'll have more time, it'll be cooler, and your quilting buds will start showing their new stuff at guild. The excitement will be back.

As for the baby quilt? I've heard of wedding quilts being delivered on the fifth anniversary, so again, you're in good company.

LOL, I started appliqueing Sun Bonnet Sue blocks for my granddaughters quilt 5 years ago. Then two weeks ago while rummaging through my stash closet, I dug them out and decided that I'd make a scrappy quilt and incorporate the SBS blocks. The 6" 4-patch blocks are made with 1.25" strips and I need 48 (what was I thinking)??? After 2 weekends I still need 13 more then I can picture frame, sash, and pray that it all comes together. In addition to that, I have 2 personal tops that are ready to be put on the frame, one unfinished on my design wall, and 3 kits that haven't been opened. So when you find your excitement, make sure mine isn't sitting next to it.

I think I have your quilting excitement Dave, but I don't have time to quilt because I am back to work.  I thought I'd get some done this weekend, but we had to go grab a load of our son's stuff and bring it to our house for storage.  The realtor listing their house didn't really want to show it with all those boxes stacked up in the second bedroom.  He said it would show better if it was decluttered.   Nobody bothered to think about the clutter that is now in my extra bedroom. LOL.

Take your time finishing your quilt.  It will be more special than if you rushed through it.

Send me just a little piece of it when you find it.  I'll hope it expands on the way. 

It's hard to juggle so many things isn't it?  We just got back from the track and field junior olympics in Jacksonville, FL and it's only a 17 hour drive from here.  Ugh!  Tired and unpacking...still.  

Hope to have a cleaning lady someday but at least hubs helps now & it's great he's able to fix things.

Thankful,

Joan

Update on my missing excitement:  Went to quilt guild meeting  last night and saw more wonderful quilts.  I did show my wife's memory quilt I made and got some nice compliments on it.  Worked on the baby quilt a little yesterday and decided I hate applique too much and was dreading doing all of those little animals and then having to hand embroidery eyes, nose, whiskers and such on them so I chose some cute little animal embroidery designs to machine embroidery inside the blocks instead of the applique.  So I will start that today.

Hopefully will get the quilt on the frame tomorrow and have it boxed and wrapped to give to the mother Monday.  That's the plans anyway.

Once I start I always get excited and wrapped up in whatever I'm doing....it's just the getting started that kills me at times.

David

I'm glad to hear you're excited again.  We lost our dog in May and I found that cleaning the house and drawers was more important than quilting.  It was nice to get everything in order after 40 years of dogs.  However, both sewing rooms are disasters again as I'm busy finishing a project.  I work better when I know I have a deadline.  

Archived