Beginner- Lennie or Lucey ?

Should a beginner start out with a Lennie or a Lucey? I am not planning on going into business and unsure of what I would really need. I know the auto quilt advance would be nice but how much time does it save? I would really appreciate any input or opinions. Thanks

If it were my choice, I would go for the larger throat space, so Lucey.  You can get a deluxe table with Lucey for an addtional cost and add the fabric advance.  THen down the road, if you decide you really want a Freedom or Millie, you can trade in the head.  With Lenni, an upgrade would be the complete system.  JMO.

I had a 2010 Lenni that I loved except for the throat space. I had upgraded the handles to the u shaped handles which was very helpful.

When I had the chance to get a used Lucey with a Bliss table and the hydralic lift, I jumped for it. I love the extra space for the ruler work and not having to advance the quilt to do a 12 inch block . I have never used a motorized advance but have not missed it. The lift is handy so you can raise the work to a level that is easy to see as you move the head.

My advice is to go for the largest throat space you can afford as long as you have the height and reach to use that throat space.

I always kind of thought the Lucey was the bare bones of anything you could ever want in a machine.  It's affordable but has all the most important features (in my humble opinion) to make it  a machine you can use for a very very long without upgrading...if it's the only machine you ever have I think you'd be very happy.  :)  Just my two cents. 

If your room can handle it, I would go for the Lucey.  With the extra throat space you can have the roll of large quilts still not cut down on your quilting space.  You may not need to use the full space on all quilts, but it will be so nice when you do need it.  I do like Cagey's comment above.

• 1 year later...

I always kind of thought the Lucey was the bare bones of anything you could ever want in a machine.  It's affordable but has all the most important features (in my humble opinion) to make it  a machine you can use for a very very long without upgrading...if it's the only machine you ever have I think you'd be very happy.  :)  Just my two cents. 

I love my Lucey too!

Archived