Hi All,

I know this has come up many times about the Martelli quilting hoops- so I just thought I'd do a " Public Service announcement" haha, and let you all know if you don't already, that Martelli is having one of the Redline half price sales starting tomorrow 8/6 thru 8/9. You have to go to their site and register on the right side of the page- then they will email you the code to put in to get everything at 50% off.

Debbie

• 1 year later...

Vicki Jo:

You will more than likely either have to either cut out the thin area that is supposed to allow the ring to slip under your hopping foot, or use a router to thin the plastic so it can easily slide in and out from under the hopping foot.  

Some suggested leaving the rings hopped over the throat of your George when not in use.  Myself, I did not like that look or possible interference with the thread path.  To be honest with you, I found the rings to now work well for me.  I did not like how the ring stuck off the front of the table allowing the fabric to drop down over the front of the table.  Thus causing drag when the fabric moved rearward when quilting.  One instructor told me if you can get the quilt sandwich to lay on your bosom it will help.  It did not work for me.  I gave the rings to a friend of mine who has a Gammill Charm.

I ended up using Batt Scooters; http://www.battsintheattic.com/shop/Tools/p/Super-Scooters-x16900330.htm.  They have new larger ones for sit-down models now.  Since I learned to use them on my DSM, I just ended up buying two pairs so I have two large scoots to use with my George.

Best of luck to you with your new baby.

Cagey

Thank you Cagey.  may cut out the thin area.  Will also look at link you suggest if I ever get to the point of being able to use George.  He seems to be quite tempermental as far as tension goes.  Dealer called to help yesterday & I got things balanced but as soon as I tried again he acted up.   GRRR!

t-town girl

T-town Girl:

I had tension issues when I first started using George, and was felt it may have been a mistake purchasing.  I spoke with APQS, and it was suggested I only run the thread through two of the holes in the thread bar immediately above the tension disks.  Since then, I have not had an issue with tension that a few turns on the tension disk has not solved.  Once you figure it out, you will be fine.

I will also suggest that once you load your bobbin, you pull off a foot or two of thread.  Try to remember how much resistance you feel when you pull it off.  Then when you pull the thread up with the top thread, pull off another foot or two of bottom thread.  If the tension seems to be greater than it was when you first loaded the bobbin, cut off the tread, and reload the bobbin.  I found when I did this, I had less issues with tension.  It seems to me like the bottom thread can catch on something in the hook area, mess up your tension and make moving your fabric around much harder.

I also use a TOWA gauge to set my bottom tension every bobbin change.  It is not required, but I found it to be one less thing I had to guess at.  

Best of luck to you.

Cagey

• 2 weeks later...

Cagey, Looks like George & I are making friends thanks to my dealer's (Brenda @ Red Barn Quilting) patience & great instruction yesterday.  I've been practicing with some of Leah Day's motifs & have been mostly successful with the 1st 3 designs. One great thing I also learned was that I can make George stop in needle-down position-woohoo!

t-town girl

T-town Girl:

I am glad to hear that you age getting to know you new George.  I am sure you will come to love quilting on it.  If you enjoy Leah Day's teaching videos, you may find Cindy Needham educational.  I had the pleasure of attending one of her classes, and found her to be an outstanding instructor.  Craftsy is having a half-price sale, and I am going to get one of her classes;  http://www.craftsy.com/class/design-it-quilt-it-free-form-techniques/121?_ct=iuqhsx-kdyluhiqb-huikbj-sekhiu&_ctp=121  You may want to check it out.  Let us see your new creations.  I am sure they look wonderful.

Cagey

Archived