Quilting an applique quilt

I haven't quilted an applique quilt yet and want to know what the tricks of the trade are when quilting close to the applique.  Are there rulers; and if so, which ones do you suggest?  I want to get really close to the applique and am afraid of getting bumped away from the applique what with all  the extra thickness of the applique.  

I love quilting appliqué quilts and I use Deloa's appliguide or the itty bitty to get up close to the appliqué. I don't usually put the hopping foot inside the little opening, I just use the side of the ruler against the side of my hoping foot to guide it around the appliqué.  The edges are rounded so it slides over the edges of the appliqué.  

I also like to use Monopoly thread when outlining appliqué so any little stray stitches won't show.  If the appliquIé isn't too thick I would also add outlining of other elements inside the appliqué if bigger than your hand so it doesn't sag when hung up on a wall.  I would not try to stitch through any heavy wonder under fusiable appliqué, it may gunk up your needle.

I hope that is helpful for you...

I couldn't use the Appliguide; it wanted to bounce with my foot and I gave it away, but learned when I need a ruler to help that my straight edge was great to guide the hopping foot - but not when using my low profile feet.

Lisa, you probably just needed to file down the back side of your foot so it would fit nicely inside the appliguides opening.

That's what I had to do. And I use both the foot inside the opening and snug it up along the outside of the appliguide ruler.

Depends on the quilt.

Archived