Bordercreek Client Quilt in Progress

It feels like I haven't posted in forever!  I think I've just been busy with the kids football and cheer leading which incidentally ended this week...so I'm back to quilting in the evenings and afternoons!  I wanted to have made a little more headway on this by now but my schedule has just been too hectic.  Trying to finish it up by this weekend...I thought this was pretty and something different!  :)

21387292243_6287ea910a_b.jpg12074565_1058898667456719_3542094799610253460_n by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

21996199582_5d400bc824_b.jpg12144676_1058898697456716_6655313141460583652_n by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

21387292943_596a18a03b_b.jpg12096155_1058898684123384_7530239025526660421_n by Valerie Smith, on Flickr

Awww thanks Sue!!  I do like to be busy but I can't say that I'm not relieved that football is over...wheew!  It was a bit of a grueling schedule there for the past few months.  I drive three kiddos to three different schools each day and pick them up too...plus I keep up with quilts but I enjoy that because I get to be creative and the income allows me some independence being primarily a stay at home/work from home mom.  :)  You always make me feel great though, thank you!!!

Gee, cut yourself some slack, football, cheer leading and a new baby!  I am amazed that you even have time to think about quilting.  As always a great job and very pretty quilt.

Valarie you will never regret being a stay at home mom.  I was too and you know what I'd go back to it in a heartbeat!  Both of my children are now in their 30's and they comment on what it meant, makes it all worth it.  I remember going to the grocery store with a calculator and just trying to make ends meet on hubby's military pay but in the long run I would do it all over again.  Honestly I watch my neighbors who have children and work full time and see how they run trying to get it all done.  They end up not spending much time with their kids, missing games and always buying more to "make up for not being with them."  I know I struggle trying to help out with my niece and balancing work/free time.  I work all week and on the weekends do all the other things that need done, plus have Madison.  On work days that I have to add 3 hours of commuting time to my schedule I'm exhausted for the next 2 or 3 days.  Mind you I'm much older now but still.  Enjoy it flies by even though some days don't seem to be flying!  

Awww thanks Sue!!  I do like to be busy but I can't say that I'm not relieved that football is over...wheew!  It was a bit of a grueling schedule there for the past few months.  I drive three kiddos to three different schools each day and pick them up too...plus I keep up with quilts but I enjoy that because I get to be creative and the income allows me some independence being primarily a stay at home/work from home mom.  :)  You always make me feel great though, thank you!!!

Heidi that makes me feel sooo good to hear!  I worked and went to school full time until my oldest was two, but it killed me being away.  I could make more money sure if we had two incomes...my Husband has a pretty good job and sometimes I think how nice it would be to double that income!  I can really understand the motivation to have both parents working and as far as independence...it's a real ego blow to have to rely on someone for everything when you were so self sufficient before staying home.  We made a lot of sacrifices for me to be here - gave up a car and and one point only had one vehicle.  It's taken us a long time to adjust but we have made it work.  My long arm has really been the best investment ever because it allows me to make a side income with something I would be doing for my own enjoyment anyhow.  But now I have a little extra to buy the kids things they normally wouldn't have had or would have once had to have purchased used...and I can afford some of the activities that I couldn't before...so I love that!

I love to hear that it really made a difference with your kids now that they are grown.  It is definitely exhausting but I kind of love every moment of it!  I love being at all of their practices and all of their games...even if Dad can't make it they know that I will be there and be their biggest cheer leader.  :)

Valarie you will never regret being a stay at home mom.  I was too and you know what I'd go back to it in a heartbeat!  Both of my children are now in their 30's and they comment on what it meant, makes it all worth it.  I remember going to the grocery store with a calculator and just trying to make ends meet on hubby's military pay but in the long run I would do it all over again.  Honestly I watch my neighbors who have children and work full time and see how they run trying to get it all done.  They end up not spending much time with their kids, missing games and always buying more to "make up for not being with them."  I know I struggle trying to help out with my niece and balancing work/free time.  I work all week and on the weekends do all the other things that need done, plus have Madison.  On work days that I have to add 3 hours of commuting time to my schedule I'm exhausted for the next 2 or 3 days.  Mind you I'm much older now but still.  Enjoy it flies by even though some days don't seem to be flying!  

You just need to start video taping your creations while you quilt them, and posting them on YouTube.  In no time, you would be on Craftsy teaching a class or two, and growing your business.  I know that I would take your lesson or watch your instructional videos.  Think about it.  

Cagey

Thank you Cagey!!  You know - I don't know why I haven't thought about Craftsy as a teaching outlet before this?!  Maybe I'll look into that!  I do have a very laid back YouTube channel that I just haven't had that much time to take seriously...what with having babies and all.  I have dabbled in all sorts of different areas of quilting as I kind of only see myself becoming more involved with it as my children grow and I find myself with more free time...next to quilting for others and making my own quilts I've enjoy teaching the most.  I will keep you posted!  Thank you for your great comment and advice, I truly take it to heart and appreciate that!

You just need to start video taping your creations while you quilt them, and posting them on YouTube.  In no time, you would be on Craftsy teaching a class or two, and growing your business.  I know that I would take your lesson or watch your instructional videos.  Think about it.  

Cagey

Valerie, you obviously love what you are doing because it shows in your beautiful quilting and your talk about your family.  I never hear stress in your posts, however, reading about all you get done exhausts me!  But that's MY problem!  LOL 

Keep up the great work.  I have a feeling you'll expand on your quilting, whether it be lessons (as Cagey suggested) or a book???  Go for it!  I doubt there's anything you can't accomplish!

Thank you so much Pat!!  I do absolutely love what I do.  I can't get enough!  :)  I do adore my family as well!!  I have been working on a book off and on but I keep getting side tracked with other things.  I think now that the baby is here I'm a little more focused...because I know she's the last one and I have a better idea of what the next five years will look like.  I have written and self published a couple of mini-books but would like to really compile everything into something easy to navigate and has everything all in one place.  I'm working on it!  I do have a particular publisher in mind as I do have a goal of teaching in the future so my fingers are crossed.  We will see how it goes.  I think videos are a wonderful way to get started organizing my quilting designs and ideas. Thank you so much for your encouragement, I truly appreciate it!

Valerie, you obviously love what you are doing because it shows in your beautiful quilting and your talk about your family.  I never hear stress in your posts, however, reading about all you get done exhausts me!  But that's MY problem!  LOL 

Keep up the great work.  I have a feeling you'll expand on your quilting, whether it be lessons (as Cagey suggested) or a book???  Go for it!  I doubt there's anything you can't accomplish!

Archived