Ruffle on Christmas Tree Skirt - Need Suggestions

All suggestions on how to do this is appreciated!

I have just finished the top for a new Christmas tree skirt. 

I want to put in on the longarm to quilt it (of course, isn't that why I bought it?).  

I want to put a ruffle on the bottom of it and I want the ruffle to be between the layers or something so that it looks 'finished', but I can't think of a way to do that, for some reason I can't come up with a solution on how to accomplish this.

I am sure there is a SIMPLE answer on how to do this.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

My thinking cap is thunk out........

Photo is attached to this post, the red circle is the new top, the other photo is of my old tree skirt that I quilted about 30 years ago on my domestic sewing machine, the ruffle was attached to the top, then the back attached, turned inside out after stitching the seams........pre-longarm!

TIA,

BobbieSue

post-9959-0-95941500-1446342539_thumb.jpg

post-9959-0-25997100-1446342575_thumb.jpg

If it's not quilted all the way to the edge, you could sew the ruffle with right sides together to the top, open it out and hand sew the backing to the ruffle. If it is quilted all the way to the edge, you can sew the ruffle to the quilted tree skirt with a strip of bias tape on top of the ruffle, then open it out and hand stitch the bias tape to the backing - covering the raw seam edge.

One last option - if you have a serger, serge the ruffle to the quilted top, open it out and top stitch through the serged seam.

Your tree skirt is pretty. :-)

Archived