Bobbin thread-Bottom line vs SoFine

I got the king size quilt to E2E. I choose King Tut as a top thread, but in doubt about the bobbin thread - I am a begginer. Is the Bottom line strong enough for the king size utilitarian quilt?

The top is batik mostly, the batting is Hoobs wool. Thank you for the suggestions

Marina:

I can only tell you what the Superior Thread web site says;

Lint-free never felt so good. Designed with award-winning quilter Libby Lehman, The Bottom Line makes a fantastic bobbin thread for any type of sewing. Its lightweight, blendable colors are so easily matched with any top thread. Available in 55 colors, with several colors matching a broad spectrum of fabric colors. Invisible appliqué and Binding is a breeze with Bottom Line as it glides through layers of fabric without any extra friction like other polyester threads can. It’s also fantastic for micro stippling due to the fine nature of thread.

• Available in 55 colors.

• Ideal for hand and machine appliqué, detail quilting, micro stippling, English paper piecing, stitch-in-the-ditch, bobbin thread, trapunto, binding, free standing lace, heirloom sewing, and fine garment construction.

• Several colors blend into fabrics so well that they appear invisible.

I bolded the comment about micro stippling.  I have only been quilting for about 2 years now, and only got my George in January, but I have had no issue with Superior bottom line thread.  Only time will tell how long it will last with washings, but I would hazard to guess the bottom line thread will be there al to longer than the fabric.  Just my two cents of knowledge, so take it for what it is worth.  Good luck.

Cagey

I like to match a slippery thread and with a not so slippery thread- meaning that if I am using So Fine or Omni on top then Bottomline in the bobbin works well. If I'm using Glide on top then I like using So Fine or another cotton-like finish thread in the bobbin. I am not a big fan of Bottomline, but it certainly would be strong enough.

Carol

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Millie with L style bobbins.   Does anyone ever use So Fine in top and in bobbin? I needed a color that Bottom Line didn't have so I ordered it in So Fine. I have not been able to get my tension right with 50 wt in bottom.  I  wound my own bobbin because I don't need enough of this color to buy a dozen pre-wound but I know it's tight enough. Any advice or suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Try using a TOWA gauge to set your bottom tension to the same resistance you have set for thicker thread.  I just finished using 50 wt Floriana thread in both top and bottom with out a problem.  I had to tweak my setting on both the top and bottom to balance my stitches, but after that it was fine. 

Cagey

Archived