Leaders not rolled evenly

I have been an APQS member for over eight years, have had my Mille for at least seven, but am still a very inexperienced 'newbie.'

I am just starting to use my Mille and decided to go with leader grips. I have only pinned about three practice pieces, but leader grips at this stage of my learning present one less procedure to perfect.

I want to mark and stitch the casings on my leaders for the leader grips, but note that the leaders for all three rollers are not evenly wound and all three are a different distance (in inches) from the end(s) of the rollers bars. Should the leaders all be the same distance from the ends of the bars and should they all be rolled up evenly so that you can't see the edges on the sides of each rolled up leader?

I can liken it to rolling a tube of, let's say, wrapping paper, where either end is perfectly in line. I think the leaders should be the same, but......I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Carolyn

Your leaders should roll up evenly, and should be spaced the same distance from the ends.  That's how mine started out, and now they are just like yours.  Go figure.  They apparently distort when your use them.  Don't know what to do about that.  I just try and adjust where I attach the pieces to get up my tops and backs to line up.  Not much help, huh?  Jim

HI,

When I got my used Lucey....I was told not to worry about the ends of the leaders being absolutely even....but rather to take a tape measure and a marker and mark the exact center of the rollers measuring from the ends of the frame and do that on all the leaders so you have the center marked on each of them and then use those marks to center your quilt, backing, and batting......works just fine...although I noticed when I did a lot of small quilts, my leaders where getting a little bit stretched so were not straight on the edge...but then I did a couple of queen sized ones and now they are more even again....Lin

Archived