Which Sewing Machine to take with me?

My DW and I will be leaving soon for an extended period of time in our Motorhome. I want to take a sewing machine with me. I don't have space like I do at home so I can't take my "big" machine (Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0). I have two choices, both work well; A Pfaff 1475 CD and a Singer 301. Both take up about the same room when you consider the size of the cases etc. I like the dual feed of the Pfaff, but the 301 has a bulletproof reputation (though we have owned the Pfaff since new and it has also been pretty indestructible). While I am leaning one way, I thought I would get opinions from you knowledgeable folks. I will be using this for quilt tops, and some general sewing. nothing too fancy.  

I'd love your experienced opinions. 

Thanks in advance!

I am no real help....I have neither of those machines.....but from what I have seen on the internet (reliable advice right?),  The 301 has a great straight stitch and is a simple mechanical machine that has lasted for decades....not much that can go wrong with it....take both for a test drive...see what one tickles your fancy!  Have fun...Lin

Dave:

I think in the end only you can answer the question of which one to bring.  As you said you will be piecing, how much do you need the dual feed?  The Pfaff is electronic so it has a needle up/down option.  Do you need or like that?  I for one detest the fact that Brother has decided for me that when the bobbin runs out the needle stops in the up position.  I for one want my fabric stabilized with the needle in it when I stop.  The Pfaff  from what I read online has an embroidery option.  Will you be making quilt labels?  Do you think you will be using that option?  You probably have had both for years, and more than likely had no issues with either machine.  So is one more bullet proof then the other for your needs?  Where are you traveling, will a sewing machine repair store be available, or will it just be you fixing either machine?

In the end, I think it comes down to this simple question.  Since sewing, piecing, and quilting are all supposed to be fun, which machine do you like using better and which is more relaxing to use?  

Best of luck on your trip and your decision.  Safe travels, and balanced stitches.  

Cagey

Dave - have fun on your trip!!! But what fun can it be if you are not happy sewing, too? I don't have a clue about either of the machines you've listed, but a criteria for choosing that would be important to me is whether I can adjust the needle position to refine the accuracy of my 1/4" seam allowance.

What fun places will you be visiting? Got your quilt store guide packed? Got plenty of projects lined up to work on? When I travel, I like to work on a super quick and easy design with pre-cuts a la Jenny Doan.

Have fun! Post pictures!

Dave:  I'm a real fan of the 301's.  They sew very well and are very portable.  That being said, if you're a big Pfaff fan use that one.  the electronics of the Pfaff present a potential liability.  If something goes wrong, you'll have to have it serviced by someone skilled in it's repair.  On the other hand, there is nothing that can go wrong with the 301 that you can't fix yourself.  Pick the winner.  Have fun on your expedition.  Jim

I'm a Pfaff owner too.  I wouldn't have a problem thinking to take the Pfaff and having all the features that you can choose for other projects you might find along the way.  Since you have had this one for years, I wouldn't be all that concerned with the electronic aspect since you are not going to be treating it differently in use than you would at home and we know you will make it a point to be sure it is cared for while traveling.  Enjoy and let us know how things are going.

Just had the same dilemma when my husband and I left cold PA for warm weather in FL in our fifth wheel. I do not have much room either but my decision was between my Bernina 350 or my Featherweight. I decided on my Bernina. I am flying home the end of Jan for our annual retreat so I will use the Featherweight for that.

Safe and fun travels Dave!

Thank you all!

I still have a few days, so will continue to think a bit. I do have several quilt kits to take along with me and a 17 mo old Grandaughter to make stuff for...I believe I could get the Pfaff fixed if I needed to, though it would be a good opportunity to get some hours on the 301...

I really appreciate your input!

I think  I would go with the Singer.  Always a beautiful stitch, seldom needs adjustments, and you can fix anything yourself.

We went full time RVing for 2 years, and it lasted 9.  Hope your trip is fun and a nice break.

Where are you headed for?

Dave,

Both the Singer 301 and Pfaff 1475 are great sewing machines. If you think you might need a zigzag stitch, blanket stitch or anything more than straight stitch, take the 1475. I've owned both of the machines you're considering and personally I love the Pfaff dual feed, for piecing, sewing garments - for everything. The 1475 has the low bobbin indicator and needle up/down feature, gotta love those modern conveniences.

Thanks All.

We are headed for central California (San Luis Obispo area) so not out in the hinterlands (as we have been in the past!) repairs would be possible. 

Busily picking out projects to start/finish and supplies that I will want. Hopefully I will come home with a bunch of tops to quilt.

Archived