Need some help with this

I need some advise about how to proceed with this top. This is one of the ones I herited my mom had bought this one. I was starting to press this and I noticed all the seams are not stitched the same way. It appears the vertical rows are seamed ok but the perpendicular ones are not. Should I clip the seams so they will press flat? There surely are a lot to rip and re-sew. I'm concerned about SID. The curves are hand pieced. I would not sid them.

I planned to quilt the white with white thread and the red with red. Thank you in advance for any help

post-67334-0-87828200-1452461718_thumb.jpg

post-67334-0-50244600-1452461778_thumb.jpg

Judy, given the age of this top, I would suggest leaving the seams as they are, and just work with what you have.  As you say, fixing them would be a lot of work, and may cause damage and/or other problems.  I would also not SID, since your ditches will be changing sides.

Just my two cents.  I'm sure others with more experience will have suggestions for you, too.  Whatever you do, I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

I am not that good of a piecer, so I have had numerous seams end up just like what you have.  I do my best to press them flat, and just quilt normal.  I have never really noticed any issues when I SIDed the top, where I had mistakes like that.  My only other suggestion would be to clip all the irish pendants, so they do not show through the white fabric when you quilt.  You may have to clip back the red fabric a tad where it is pressed to the white, so it does not show through either.

Best of luck.

Cagey

I would not SID. I would plan my quilting so that it wouldn't be necessary, or choose an E to E or panto. Maybe a Baptist fan, or allover feather design using a medium gray thread.

I would not SID. I would plan my quilting so that it wouldn't be necessary, ar choose an E to E or panto. Maybe a Baptist fan, or allover feather design using a medium gray thread.

I would not SID. I would plan my quilting so that it wouldn't be necessary, ar choose an E to E or panto. Maybe a Baptist fan, or allover feather design using a medium gray thread.

I like the allover design. I was thinking about a stippling. Why do you suggest gray? Very new to quilting and just wondering.thank you for your help.

Gray would blend with both the white and the red..not disappearing on the white, but not glaring out on the red. If you use a fine thread such as SoFine the thread will not be noticeable and you will see just the texture so as not to compete with the piecing.

I had a quilt that looked a lot like that, given to me when I bought my long arm. I pressed as well as I could. It was a black and white log cabin. I did all white thread with baptist fan circle lord boards. It surprised me on how well it turned out. It laid well and only a couple little folds in the log cabins.. That certainly helped build my confidence in quilting.

I had a quilt that looked a lot like that, given to me when I bought my long arm. I pressed as well as I could. It was a black and white log cabin. I did all white thread with baptist fan circle lord boards. It surprised me on how well it turned out. It laid well and only a couple little folds in the log cabins.. That certainly helped build my confidence in quilting.

Thank you. That encourages me. Mine has pressed out pretty well

Since you are on George, I say start in the red with red thread and work your way from the center to the corners.  Use a design you are comfortable quilting, and you think works with the top.  Fill in all the red area stabilizing the sandwich, and then go back and fill from the center to the outside the white zones.  Maybe break each zone into quarters and use feathers that would fill all the areas.  Best of luck, and post pictures when your done.

This may be why they you are getting the gray thread suggestion; https://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/dr-bob-bottom-line-polyester/

Cagey

Great ideas about the thread. I had used a clear in the bobbin once one my DSM. I was pleased.I like the idea of scattering threads on the quilt. Thanks you guys. I can't work on it for a few days. Going to fort Worth tomorrow to get ready for the opening of the stock show. The parade Saturday is all western. Any floats etc have to be horse drawn. We take our teams and wagons for it. Lots of fun. Think it will be cold this year though. Back at the quilt Monday though.

Yes, lay some threads on the quilt, you may be surprised at what works. Also, I think Dawn has posted something on the blog about a quilt that is loaded that has fullness. Maybe it was just a border, but I bet you could try steaming the blocks if you have some fullness. Be careful not to drip water. It would be terrible if the red ran onto the white. 

Well, I laid several different threads on the quilt but I still liked the red on red and white on white. I chose a medium stippling. I believe it can compensate for the fullness better with the stippling. I have just begun the red.

I am going good to dallas tomorrow for my training on George. Really looking forward to the day.

post-67334-0-42488600-1453141267_thumb.jpg

post-67334-0-69212400-1453141286_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am just about finished with my quilt. I think later today I will put on the binding if I don't have to go into office. I have been pleased with the look of the stippling. It was definitely not as simple as I thought. More pictures later.post-67334-0-94633900-1460132543_thumb.jpgpost-67334-0-94633900-1460132543_thumb.jpg

Archived