Hobbs Heirloom Wool Batting - newbie

I'm not a newbie at quilting, but my first time quilting with wool.  I have a Farmer's Wife loaded up and ready to go, batting is just 'resting' as it just came off the truck.     Quilt backing is black.

I am quilting one layer of wool -  I'm worried about possible bearding with the black backing.   Any tips or advice on my journey?   Will the one layer of wool give enough definition/loft?  

Wool is my favorite batting! I use it exclusively for my own quilts and many of my customers like it also. Hobbs heirloom is nice, great loft and lighter weight than a cotton batt. I generally use the Tuscany wool from Hobbs, I just like that product a bit more than the heirloom wool. I have never had a boarding problem, even with a black quilt back. I have never used more than one layer of wool so I cannot answer that question for you, but know you will be pleased with the finished product! Super comfortable no matter which season you are using it.

Lori

Thanks for the advice...started it up this morning and so far so good.   I let the batting 'rest' for a day by just draping it over the frame before loading it all up.  Dos it's gorgeous stuff.   So far, quilting is going well, no bearding, etc.   I am pinning extra because of the puff, just to keep it stabilized throughout the area I'm working on.   Can't wait to do more tomorrow! 

thanks for you input :-)

I'm with the others wool is my favorite batting!  However, I'm a "Quilter's Dream" girl.  Sounds like you have everything under control.  I'm not sure what the other ladies and gents on here do with their batting but instead of laying it out to rest, I put it in the dryer for 20 minutes on refresh or if you don't have refresh, cool air.

I really don't understand the Hobbs wool.   I just used a package of it and it was so thin and had blobs of thick and thin, that I wouldn't use it alone.

I don't know when or where I got it. I added a layer of WnN. Didn't charge the customjer for the Hobbs

It is Hobbs Heirloom Premium.

Is this normally not a good bat for wool?

RitaR

Hobbs has two wools that come in a package.  One is called Heirloom and I think it is pain to get it to lay nice even if I take it out of the package a couple of days ahead. I think Hobbs should be embarrassed putting their name on it.   The other is their Tuscany and that is far superior to work with.  The Tuscany isn't stuffed into the package nearly as tight.  The Heirloom on the roll is also excellent to work with and is my first choice. 

Nigel

I just checked the roll of wool I recently purchased, but it isn't identified with product name.  I've been pretty happy with it, though.

Hobbs also makes a cotton/wool blend (I don't know what the percentages are-70%cotton, 30% wool maybe-the package I have, doesn't say)  I bought a king size package - it's folded rather than rolled- but I haven't used it yet.  I think it falls about half way between 80/20 and wool in price.  Jim

Thanks for all the information.  Nigel that info is quite helpful. 

Andrea, which heirloom product is it?  The Heirloom or Tuscany?

Jim it's very odd to me that the package doesn't specify what batt it is! 

If we like it, how in  heck are we to know what to buy next time?  Wierd.

Thanks, Nige.l.

A couple years ago I had a Hobbs "Bat that left little white pill like things from one end if this house to the other.

I shot Hobbs a note and they sent me a replacement, bigger than what I had.  I didn't think I'd ever get those wooly boogers cleaned up.

Anyway HObbs is wonderful to work with.  I think I'll shoot them a note again.

Andrea:  One interesting experience I've had with a wool bat quilt, is that the owner of one I quilted thought it wasn't warm enough.  I've just kind of dismissed that, but since you live where it actually gets COLD, when you make yourself a wool batted quilt, report to us on the relative warmth.  Cool is nice here, but in Calgary?  Thanks.  Jim

Thanks for all the great input- take home is all are great- but if going with the heirloom go by the roll- lays nicer??

I guess my next question is do a lot of you use 2 layers when quilting with wool a lot?? I have a few people say poly and wool, or 80/20 Hobbs and layer of wool?

Thanks for you guys wealth of info!

I may have a thought about the double batting.  I just finished the quilt I've been working on.  It Is deep red and off white/beige, and has a light beige back with a very small and widely spaced print.  After I took it off the frame, I was checking the back for any thread tails or problems, I noticed that the dark red fabric from the top piecing telegraphed through the batting and the backing fabric.  Dark colors will show through the airy wool batting.  I don't think that often happens with cotton batting.  I think Lyn commented about this earlier, and gave that as her reason for using double batting.  Jim 

Archived