I just began quilting a top that has the Minkee type fleece on the back.  Low loft poly batting.  The fleece is a black and white zigzag and the top is light pink.  When the needle passes over the black it pulls up some of the nap from the back so I have black lint on my pink top every inch or so!  I changed to a larger needle, but that didn't solve the problem.  Would loosening my top tension work?  I hate to mess with tension too much, but I'm thinking I might have to for this project.  Suggestions, anyone?  I've never had this happen before!

Heidi, I started with a #16 needle and then changed to an 18.  Using Signature cotton thread like I always do.  I have never had trouble with Minkee before, using that thread.  I loosened the tension, by degrees as I stitched a line across the top edge of the quilt and even when I got to a too-loose tension, it was still pulling lint up from the bottom.  I didn't loosen the bobbin tension.  I am very reluctant to do that because I have it set so well for my usual cotton fabric quilting.  I'm almost to the point of telling my customer I just can't work with this backing and she will have to find another quilter or another backing.

I have never had this problem before with fleece either, interesting.  I do think that it might be your thread...but it could also be that this minkee is not very high quality and is causing this too.  Perhaps if the minkee was washed it would help with this issue?  I always use Metro, like Heidi does, and this resolves any issues of bearding with these types of fabrics.

Yes, I think the fleece is a JoAnn's product so not particularly high quality. I'll check around at my local stores to see if I can locate Metro thread, before I give up completely!  Do you wind Metro on the bobbin too so it is on both lower and upper.  And thanks, Laura, for the term "bearding."  That is exactly what's going on but that term was eluding my memory! 

Go on line to www.metroemb.com. The small 1000 yd spools should be enough for a quilt and only .75. I bought a complete set of the large 5000 yd spools at $2.25 and have used them often. I use it on the bobbin too. I have gradually added other threads, but Metro has been a great backup. It has a little sheen to it that customers often prefer.

Archived