hartley fence doesn't seem to fit right

kathyb

My Hartley Base doesn't seem to fit right. There are gaps between the base and the front of the machine, and also between the plate over the cutter. My rulers are constantly getting caught in them and messing up my work. I'm so frustrated!

I've attached a picture. Does it look right to you?

I had a 2003 Millie and that one fit snug. This is a 2013 Millie with a new Hartley base and it doesn't seem to fit the same. post-516-0-30673300-1455137673_thumb.jpg

Kathy,

That's a Hartley Extended Base, not a Fence.  I have a similar base on my 2015 Millie and have the same gaps but I've not had any issues.  A couple of my customers have had issues with their base, but it was due to a height difference between the clear thread-cutter plate and the Base.  We solved it by adding one thin washer to each of the screws that hold the thread-cutter cover on.  Check that that's not your issue, as well.

Thank you ladies. You are correct!  I knew when I was writing 'fence' it didn't seem right! Frustration made me go ahead and post!

I don't have any issues with the height of the base. It lays very flat. It's just the gaps. I especially have trouble with the curved rulers. They get caught on the ends. I'm doing scallops on a border right now and and when I bring the machine towards me it 'hops' at the end. 

• 1 month later...

I know I can't add anything to the needle side of the machine.   I did add the interchangeable feet at the same time as the bliss upgrade while it was at the factory getting her spa treatment.  I hadn't used the Hartley until recently, and that's when I discovered the issue.  I'll check to see how many washers are on the thread cutter - it almost seems like too many of the thicker ones?   I'll play around with it and see what I can do before checking with Amy.  Don't use the thread cutter that often, but I do use it.

The washers are correct.  The Hartley fits around the cutter, not on it.   Just can't figure out why the left side of the Hartley is "off" now - almost as if the plastic warped or something.   But I took the two "black button hole covers" out of the side below the cutter, and the Hartley is seated level like it used to before she went to the factory.  Looks like the buttons are just enough to push that side up a bit - about 1 cm - enough to through it off level though.  Very strange.   Doesn't matter as long as it works. 

Archived